In high school baseball yesterday…
– Houghton and Calumet split their doubleheader, with the Gremlins taking the opener 4-3, and the Copper Kings claiming the nightcap 9-8.
– Jeffers swept its twinbill against Lake Linden-Hubbell, 8-1 and 6-2. Evan Larson threw a complete-game five-hitter for the Jets in the opener, and struck out eight. Caleb Klein had three hits for the Lakes in the nightcap.
– L’Anse v Gogebic – no report.
Today, Houghton plays at Jeffers. Our broadcast coverage will begin at 3:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In softball yesterday…
– Houghton dropped both of its games with Negaunee, 8-1 and 14-2.
– Calumet v Ishpeming – no report.
– Hancock v L’Anse – no report.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell v Gogebic – no report.
In softball today…
– Houghton will face Ishpeming at the Bone Yard.
In golf, local girls teams at the Ontonagon Invitational yesterday – no report.
The WestPAC boys and girls conference golf meets will be held today in Iron Mountain.
In track and field, the Copper Mountain Conference meet will be held today at Baraga.
Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball play last night…
– At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, McGann’s/Northern Auto outslugged Harter’s Carquest 38-20, then defeated Coca Cola/Monte Carlo 14-7.
– At Hurontown, Auto Pro/ThermoAnalytics edged A and S Industrial 10-8. The result of Auto Pro/ThermoAnalytics’game against Luigi’s was not reported.
– At Tapiola, Downtowner 2 v Pat’s Foods/Bucko’s – no report.
The Detroit Tigers had yesterday off, and entertain the Miami Marlins tonight. Spencer Turnbull will start against Caleb Smith. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers also had yesterday off, and begin a home set against the Cincinnati Reds tonight. Gio Gonzalez will pitch against Sonny Gray.
In the NHL playoffs tonight, the San Jose Sharks visit the Saint Louis Blues. The Blues lead the Western Conference final 3-2.
In NBA playoff action last night, the Golden State Warriors edged the Portland Trail Blazers 119-117, and swept the Western Conference final 4-0.
Tonight, the Milwaukee Bucks visit the Toronto Raptors. The Bucks lead the Eastern Conference final 2-1.
On the opening evening of Copper Country Horseshoe League play…
– Dreamland Two defeated Calumet Electronics 7-2.
– Harter’s Party Store downed Drift Inn 6-3.
– Rocky’s Bar beat Bucko’s Party Store 8-1.
– L and L got past Ahmeek Fire Department 6-3.
– Dreamland One blanked 41 Lumber 9-0.
– Calumet One shut down Loading Zone 7-2.
The Michigan Tech women’s basketball program will host its annual golf tournament Saturday, June 1st, at the Portage Lake Golf Course. It’s a four-person scramble, at a base cost of $340 per team. Registration for the tournament starts at 9:00, with a 10:00 shotgun start. For more details and registration information, see the event flyer here.
Email sports stories and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.