In girls high school basketball last night…
• Hancock completed a season sweep over Houghton with a 37-26 victory. The Bulldogs’ defense held the Gremlins to just nine points in the first half. Isabella Hebert scored 10 for Hancock. Houghton’s Stella Wickstrom led all scorers with 11 points, and Meghan Trewhella added 10, but the remaining Gremlins combined to sink just two shots.
• Ontonagon fell to Ironwood 49-44.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell outscored Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 72-60. Emily Jokela set a new single-game Lakes scoring record with 48 points. She sank seven three-pointers, another school record. Ashlea Datto scored 22 for the Blue Bolts.
• L’Anse got past Jeffers 35-26.
In boys basketball last night…
• The Calumet game against Ishpeming was called off.
• Ontonagon downed Baraga 60-42.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell stopped Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 56-46. Marcus Sutherland had 21 to lead the Lakes.
• Jeffers dispatched L’Anse 84-50.
On the boys schedule tonight, weather permitting…
• Houghton welcomes Lake Linden-Hubbell.
• Hancock entertains Republic-Michigamme.
• Ontonagon travels to Ironwood.
In girls action…
• Calumet plays at Jeffers.
• Baraga visits Chassell.
In a girls-boys doubleheader…
• Ewen-Trout Creek plays at Bessemer.
The Houghton Alpine ski team is scheduled to compete at the UP Championships at Mont Ripley today.
The high school hockey tournament opens tomorrow at the SDC. Houghton takes on Hancock at 5:30, and Calumet faces Jeffers at 7:30. Coverage of both games will begin at 5:10 on KBear 102.3.
Michigan Tech’s Owen White has been named the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference North Division Men’s Basketball Player of the Week. White scored 39 points and collected 12 rebounds in the Huskies’ wins over Saginaw Valley State and Wayne State.
The Finlandia women’s basketball team will open the Coast to Coast Athletic Conference tournament Thursday against the University of Mary Washington. The Lions are seeded fifth, and the Eagles are fourth. Third-seeded Salisbury and sixth-seeded Pratt will meet in the other quarterfinal. The top two seeds, Christopher Newport and UC-Santa Cruz, have opening-round byes. The tournament is being held in Santa Cruz.
The Detroit Red Wings return to the ice tomorrow, when they host the Colorado Avalanche. Coverage will begin at 7:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
After the All-Star break, the Detroit Pistons host the Cleveland Cavaliers Thursday night. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
Major League Baseball team owners met with representatives of the players union for five hours yesterday. Reports indicate the owners made a few concessions, but the two sides remain far apart as they work to establish a new collective bargaining agreement. The owners have locked the players out. Another meeting is scheduled for today. Some spring training games have already been canceled. If a new contract isn’t worked out by Monday, the start of the regular season may be delayed.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tomorrow – hockey regional semifinal doubleheader – Houghton v Hancock (5:30 faceoff), Calumet v Jeffers (7:30 faceoff) – 5:10 pregame on KBear 102.3.
• Saturday – hockey regional championship – 11:40 pregame – teams and station TBD
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.