High school volleyball tournament district champions will be crowned tonight. In semifinal action last evening…
• In Division Three, Calumet breezed past Ishpeming 3-0 (25-5, 25-9, 25-10). Helen Beiring led the Copper Kings with 12 kills. Marybeth Halonen had six aces, and Jana Loukus recorded 12 digs. Hancock eliminated Gwinn 3-0 in the other district semifinal. The Bulldogs will host the Copper Kings for the district crown tonight at 6:00. Coverage will begin at 5:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• In Division Four, District 98, Baraga dispatched Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 3-0. Jeffers eliminated L’Anse 3-0. Savannah Asiala led the Jets with 10 kills. The Jets and Vikings will play for the district title tonight at 6:00 at Baraga.
• In Division Four, District 97, Ontonagon fell 3-0 to Ironwood. Wakefield-Marenisco cruised past Watersmeet 3-0. The Red Devils and Cardinals will play for the district championship tonight in Bessemer.
Both Finlandia University soccer teams begin play at the Coast to Coast Athletic Conference tournaments today…
• The men are seeded sixth, and will face third-seeded Wisconsin-Whitewater at 2:00. The tournament is being hosted by the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia.
• The women are seeded fifth, and will take on fourth-seeded Salisbury University this morning at 11:00. Salisbury is hosting the tournament in Salisbury, Maryland.
Lions freshman Mohamed Koroma has been named to the All-Coast-To-Coast Athletic Conference Men’s Soccer first team. Koroma was also named the conference’s Rookie of the Year, after recording 17 goals and four assists.
The Michigan Tech men’s basketball team upended Division One Ball State University 70-69 in an exhibition match in Muncie, Indiana, last night. The Huskies opened up a 17-point lead in the second half. The Cardinals rallied to tie it late, but timely free throws from Owen White helped seal the win. Trent Bell led the Huskies with 17 points.
The Michigan Tech women’s basketball team hosts Wisconsin-Oshkosh for an exhibition game tonight at 6:00. Fans who bring a non-perishable food donation to the SDC can see the game for free.
The Detroit Red Wings visit the Boston Bruins tonight. Tyler Bertuzzi will rejoin the team, after missing two games because he couldn’t travel to Canada because he hasn’t been vaccinated for COVID-19. Because of NFL football on 99.3 The Lift, we’ll join the game after Calumet volleyball on KBear 102.3.
The Detroit Pistons welcome the Philadelphia 76ers tonight.
The Detroit Tigers have added a veteran catcher via trade from the Cincinnati Reds. Tucker Barnhart is a two-time gold glove winner with a .248 career batting average. The Tigers will pick up his $7.5 million contract option for the 2022 season. In exchange, the Reds get infield prospect Nick Quintana, who hit .191 at the Tigers’ Low-A affiliate in Lakeland, Florida, last season.
Outfielder Jackie Bradley, Jr. will stay with the Milwaukee Brewers next season. Reports indicate Bradley will exercise the $9.5 million option in his contract. He struggled at the plate last season. Milwaukee has also signed pitcher Trevor Gott to a one-year deal. Over the past six seasons, Gott has jumped between the majors and minors with the Angels, Nationals, and Giants. He’ll compete for a bullpen job.
In tonight’s game, the New York Jets visit the Indianapolis Colts. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Please have your picks in The Wolf Pro Football Challenge turned in by noon today at one of our sponsors.
Jordan Love is expected to get his first NFL start for the Green Bay Packers in Sunday’s game against the Kansas City Chiefs. Green Bay starter Aaron Rodgers has been added to the COVID-19 list. Packers’ third-string quarterback Kurt Benkert is also on the COVID-19 list, so the team is looking to add an emergency back-up quickly.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tonight – District tournament volleyball title game – Calumet plays at Hancock – 5:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tomorrow – Division Six district championship football – Calumet plays at Negaunee – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Saturday – College football – Greenville University visits Finlandia University – 12:40 pregame on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.