In high school boys basketball last night…
– L’Anse shut down Hancock 65-28.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City smothered Baraga 79-29.
– Jeffers got past Ewen-Trout Creek 57-52.
– Chassell routed Republic-Michigamme 73-20.
– The Bessemer game at Lake Linden-Hubbell was canceled at the last moment because of transportation issues. It will be made up Monday.
In girls hoops last night…
– Houghton put up a battle, but eventually lost to Escanaba 53-48. Cassie Ryynanen led the Gremlins with 16 points, and Maryellen Trewhella added 15.
– The Watersmeet at Ontonagon game was postponed – no make-up date has been announced.
In high school hockey, Calumet, Houghton and Hancock began play at the Trenton Showcase yesterday…
– Hancock fell to Grand Rapids Christian 4-3. Todd Anderson gave the Bulldogs an early lead, but the Eagles responded with three straight goals. Tallies by Colton Salani and Petr Anderson tied the game in the third period, but Benj Bultema’s second goal of the game with less than five minutes remaining won it for G.R. The Bulldogs will face Livonia Churchill this morning at 8:00.
– Calumet blanked Livonia Stevenson 3-0. After a scoreless first period, Cam Kauppinen and Dean Loukus scored power play goals in the second. Sam Erkkila added a short-handed score in the third. Alex Studebaker stopped 13 shots to earn the shutout. The Copper Kings will play Hartland this morning at 8:20.
– Houghton edged Cranbrook 3-2 in a shootout. Justin Norkol and Nathan Erva scored for the Gremlins. Norkol and Kevin Bostwick scored in the shootout, and Niko Rajala’s goal in the sixth round was the game-winner. Jimmy Pietila made 19 saves. The Gremlins will face Warren De La Salle this morning. Our pregame coverage will begin around 8:20 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
No information was received about the Jeffers game at Petoskey last night. The Jets are scheduled to play at Cheboygan today.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey team lost 6-1 at Northland College last night. Cale Markham gave the Lions an early lead, but the Lumberjacks dominated the rest of the game. Finlandia skates at the College of Saint Scholastica tonight. The Lions could clinch an NCHA playoff berth with a win or a tie.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team suffered a 6-1 loss at Saint Scholastica last night. Kallin Morris scored the Lions’ only goal. Annah Smiddy made 50 saves. Those teams face off again this afternoon.
Both Lions basketball teams are off this weekend.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams will play at Wisconsin-Parkside this afternoon.
Both Northern Michigan University hoops teams will visit Purdue Northwest today.
The NMU hockey team lost to 13th-ranked Bowling Green State University 3-2 in overtime last night. Those teams skate again tonight in Marquette.
The Michigan Tech hockey team has the weekend off.
The Calumet Wolverines defeated the Fond du Lac Bears 8-5 last night. The Wolverines will entertain the Eagle River Falcons tonight at 7:30 at the Colosseum.
The Portage Lake Pioneers will welcome Fond du Lac this evening at 7:30 at Dee Stadium.
The Detroit Pistons entertain the Los Angeles Clippers this afternoon.
The Detroit Red Wings scratched out a 3-2 overtime victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs last night. Gustav Nyquist and Dylan Larkin scored in regulation for Detroit, and Danny DeKeyser netted the game-winner. Jimmy Howard made 19 saves. The Wings visit the Ottawa Senators tonight.
Larkin left the game during overtime, with what appeared to be a rib cage injury. He’ll be evaluated today.
The New England Patriots and the Los Angeles Rams will meet in the Super Bowl tomorrow at 6:30. Pregame coverage begins at 2:00 on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports stories and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.