In girls high school basketball tournament district finals last night…
– In Division Three – Calumet claimed the crown, after an epic 52-47 double-overtime win over Hancock. Marybeth Halonen and Elli Djerf combined to score 45 of Calumet’s points. Djerf’s put-back with one second remaining in regulation forced the first overtime. Isabella Hebert led the Bulldogs with 21. Calumet will play Westwood in the regional semifinal Tuesday at 6:00 at Marquette. We will broadcast the game on KBear 102.3. Charlevoix and Oscoda will meet in the other regional semifinal at Petoskey.
– In Division Four, District 98 – Baraga cruised to a 52-26 victory over Chassell. Reide Osterman led a balanced Vikings attack with 13 points. Paige Sleeman had 15 for the Panthers. The Vikings will face Munising in the regional semifinal Tuesday at 6:00 Eastern Time at Kingsford High School.
– In Division Four, District 97 – L’Anse claimed the title with a 39-34 win over Ewen-Trout Creek. Maija Rice scored 11 for the Purple Hornets, and Elise Besonen paced the Panthers with 18. L’Anse will take on Carney-Nadeau in the other regional semifinal Tuesday at 7:45 Eastern Time at Kingsford.
In boys regular-season games last night…
– Calumet dispatched Hancock 60-44.
– Jeffers edged Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 49-47.
– Chassell outscored Lake Linden-Hubbell 71-53. Bill Rautiola led the Panthers with 18. Dean Pietila added 16, and Karl Rautiola 15. Cole Gregoire had 17 for the Lakes.
– Ontonagon trounced Baraga 84-48.
– L’Anse lost to Bessemer 62-55.
The boys tournament opens Monday.
At the FCA March Tournament in Wausau, the Copper Country Christian School girls lost to Faith Christian 17-14 yesterday. They play Stevens Point Christian Academy this morning. The boys team defeated Stevens Point 34-22 yesterday, then fell to Faith Christian 44-38. Noah Bach scored 16 in the first game, and 17 in the second. The boys will play the Riverside Eagles this morning.
Calumet will face Gaylord in the high school hockey state quarterfinal game today at 1:00 at Marquette. Our pregame coverage will begin at 12:35 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com. We will follow the Copper Kings as far as they go in the playoffs.
Western Collegiate Hockey Association
Tommy Parrottino’s natural hat trick powered the Michigan Tech hockey team to a 4-1 victory over Northern Michigan University in the opening game of their GLIAC quarterfinal playoff series last night. The game was closer than the score might indicate. The Wildcats took an early lead. Alex Smith tied it for the Huskies late in the second period. Parrottino’s game-winner came early in the third, but his final two were late empty-netters. Matt Jurusik stopped 34 shots. Game Two will be played at the Berry Events Center at 6:07 this evening. If needed, game three will be played at 6:07 tomorrow.
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
Both the Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan men’s basketball teams will play in the GLIAC tournament semifinals today at Grand Valley State in Allendale. The third-seeded Huskies will take on the second-seeded host Lakers. The eight-seeded Wildcats will meet fourth-seeded Northwood.
Michigan Tech’s Kyle Monroe has been named the GLIAC Men’s Basketball Player of the Year. Monroe set a new GLIAC mark for career scoring. Dawson Bilski joined Monroe on the All-GLIAC First Team. Owen White and Isaac Appleby were named to the All-Defensive squad. Kevin Luke was named Coach of the Year.
Cassidy Trotter and Ellie Mackay were named to the All-GLIAC Women’s Second Team.
The Finlandia baseball team dropped both of their games against Plymouth State yesterday, 10-3 and 11-0. Devonte Fleming had two hits in the opener, and got the only Lions’ hit in the nightcap. Finlandia concludes its Florida trip with a doubleheader against Baruch College today.
After a day off yesterday, the Finlandia softball team will conclude its Florida run with games today against SUNY-Delhi and Martin Luther College.
Great Lakes Hockey League
The Calumet Wolverines got past the Portage Lake Pioneers 7-5 last evening. The Wolverines will visit the Eagle River Falcons tonight.
The Detroit Red Wings broke their six-game losing streak with a 2-1 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks last night. Tyler Bertuzzi and Robby Fabri scored for Detroit, and Jonathan Bernier made 32 saves.
The Wings host the Tampa Bay Lightning tomorrow afternoon. Coverage begins at 4:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons host the Utah Jazz tonight. Coverage begins at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
In spring baseball yesterday, the Detroit Tigers got just two hits, and lost 9-0 to the Philadelphia Phillies yesterday. Spencer Turnbull allowed a run over three innings.
The Tigers face the Minnesota Twins this afternoon in Juan Marichal Stadium in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
Keston Hiura homered, as the Milwaukee Brewers played to a 5-5 tie with the San Francisco Giant yesterday. Starter Josh Lindblom gave up three runs over four innings.
The Brewers play the Texas Rangers today.
Milwaukee made it official yesterday, announcing that outfielder Christian Yelich has signed a nine-year, $215-million contract.
Great Bear Chase
Good luck to competitors at the Great Bear Chase, taking place this morning at the Swedetown Trails.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.