In high school football last night…
• Calumet earned its first win of the season, stunning Westwood 28-14. After falling behind 6-0 early in the second quarter, Paul Sturos ran 30 yards for a touchdown, then found Dryden Nelson for a 40-yard pass and run to give the Copper Kings a 14-6 halftime lead. Westwood tied the game on the opening possession of the second half, but the Kings responded immediately with a 20-yard Nelson touchdown run, and added a late score to put the game away. Calumet is scheduled to host West Iron County next Friday, with pregame at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3. The Wykons had to forfeit their game last night.
• Hancock lost to Negaunee 47-0.
• L’Anse shut down Gwinn 28-0.
• Ontonagon fell to Forest Park 62-60 in double overtime.
See video highlights from the Calumet and Hancock games here:
In high school football today…
• Houghton hosts Iron Mountain. Coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell welcomes Norway. Coverage will start at 1:10 on KBear 102.3.
In volleyball today…
• Calumet plays at the Ashwaubenon Invitational.
• Houghton competes at the Gladstone Invitational.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City, Baraga, Chassell, Jeffers will meet at the Baraga Invitational.
See the full schedule for all our local high school teams here.
The Michigan Tech soccer team lost 2-1 at Bemidji State last night. Julia Pietila scored her first Huskies’ goal. Tech plays at Minnesota-Crookston tomorrow.
The Finlandia University women’s soccer team will play at North Central today, and St. Olaf tomorrow.
The Finlandia volleyball team lost 3-0 (26-28, 12-25, 16-25) at Clarke College in Dubuque last night. Emily Wilson had 10 kills. The Lions play at Emmaus Bible College today.
The Tech volleyball team won its first two matches at the Illinois-Springfield Capital Classic yesterday, sweeping McKendree 3-0 (25-22, 25-12, 25-17), then defeating Northwest Missouri State in a hard-fought 3-1 (24-26, 29-27, 25-21, 25-19) game. The Huskies will take on Lake Erie and the host team today.
The MTU football team hosts St. Thomas this afternoon. Kickoff is at 1:10.
The Northern Michigan University football team entertains Wisconsin-Oshkosh today.
The Finlandia football team welcomes Concordia-Chicago. Coverage will begin at 11:40 in advance of a noon kickoff on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Tigers bombed the Tampa Bay Rays 10-4 last night. Miguel Cabrera got two more hits before his career-best consecutive at-bat hitting streak ended at nine. Jonathan Schoop hit a grand slam, and Victor Reyes and Eric Haase also homered. Tyler Alexander pitched into the fifth inning, and gave up one run in an emergency start. The Tigers host the Rays again this evening. Casey Mize will start against Chris Archer. Coverage will begin at 5:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
Alexander took the hill because Matthew Boyd reported more soreness in the left elbow that’s been giving him trouble all season. He could be headed back to the injured list. Tigers pitcher Miguel del Pozo landed on that list yesterday, after testing positive for COVID-19. Drew Carlton has been called up to fill in.
Lorenzo Cain’s grand slam powered the Milwaukee Brewers to a 10-3 win over the Cleveland Indians last evening. Eduardo Escobar blasted two home runs, and Luis Urías also hit one out. Adrian Houser gave up a run over six innings to earn the win. The Crew continues that interleague set in Cleveland tonight. Corbin Burnes will pitch against Zach Plesac.
Any combination of nine Milwaukee wins or Cincinnati losses clinches the National League Central Division title for the Brewers.
Milwaukee brought catcher Manny Piña off the injured list yesterday, and sent Luke Maile back to Nashville.
The Detroit Lions begin their season tomorrow with a 1:00 home game against the San Francisco 49ers. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Don Muhlbach is back with the Detroit Lions. The 17-year veteran long-snapper was infamously cut from the team last month on his 40th birthday. He will serve as a special assistant, helping with coaching and scouting.
The Green Bay Packers open in New Orleans, with a 4:25 game against the Saints.
The Detroit Pistons have announced a four-game pre-season schedule. They’ll debut at home October 6th against the San Antonio Spurs, visit the Memphis Grizzlies October 11th, play the Knicks in New York October 13th, and finish at home against the Philadelphia 76ers October 15th. Listen for selected regular-season Pistons games again this season on 99.3 The Lift.
The 2021 Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame class will be inducted today. Honorees include former Pistons Ben Wallace and Chris Webber.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.