In high school volleyball last night…
• Calumet swept Houghton 3-0 (25-5, 25-7, 25-6). Lizzie Torola led the Copper Kings with 11 kills, and Helen Beiring added 10. Marybeth Halonen had 13 digs.
• Hancock blanked Gwinn 3-0.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell got past L’Anse 3-2 (17-25, 25-9, 23-25, 25-20, 15-9).
• Baraga shut down Watersmeet 3-0.
• Jeffers swept Ewen-Trout Creek 3-0 (25-24, 25-17, 25-22). Allie Pietila and Raena Kangas each had seven kills for the Jets.
• Chassell fell to West Iron County 3-0.
• Ontonagon downed Bessemer 3-1 (25-17, 25-21, 25-27, 25-15).
In volleyball tonight…
• Baraga plays at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City.
At the Westwood cross country invitational yesterday…
• The Houghton boys took an easy team victory. Gremlin runners claimed the top five finishes, with Eric Weiss first, and Cyrus Hamlin second. Negaunee placed second in the team standings, and Westwood third.
• Negaunee edged out Houghton by one standings point to claim the girls crown. Hancock finished third, with Calumet and Westwood rounding out the field. Ishpeming’s Lola Korpi took individual honors, with Ingrid Seagren of the Gremlins second.
• See full results here.
See the full schedule for all our local high school teams here.
Local high school football teams continue to fare poorly in the Upper Peninsula Sportswriters and Sportscasters weekly poll. Marquette continues to lead the 11-player division, with Calumet getting a couple of honorable mention votes. North Central dominates the eight-player poll, with Forest Park second, and Ontonagon fourth.
This year’s USA Hockey Referee Seminar will be held Saturday at Calumet High School. Check-in begins at 8:30. If you wish to officiate USA Hockey sanctioned youth hockey games or who want to use this as a stepping stone to High School and above, you must register online at USAHockey.com. Prior to the seminar on Saturday please sign up as an official (a separate registration from being a player). Follow the steps outlined on the “Become an Official” page at the USA Hockey website. If you have questions, contact Marc Norton at email@example.com.
The Finlandia men’s soccer team scored twice in the final 10 minutes, and defeated North Central University 4-2 yesterday. Brendan Christian broke the tie in the 80th minute. Mohamed Koroma scored twice. Chelen Gonzalez had a goal and an assist. Hunter Ross got the win in goal.
The Finlandia women’s soccer team lost to the University of Chicago 9-0 yesterday.
The Finlandia women’s basketball team has announced its first recruit for the 2022-2023 season. Claire Van Ginhoven is entering her senior season at Gladstone High School.
The Boston Red Sox defeated the New York Yankees 6-2 in the American League wild card play-in game last night. They’ll face the Tampa Bay Rays in the Divisional Series beginning tomorrow.
The Saint Louis Cardinals will take on the Los Angeles Dodgers in the National League Wild Card play-in contest tonight.
The Brewers open the playoffs at home against the Atlanta Braves Friday.
The Detroit Red Wings visit the Columbus Blue Jackets for a preseason game tonight. Listen for regular-season Wings games on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons open their preseason campaign at home against the San Antonio Spurs tonight. Top draft choice Cade Cunningham will not play because of an ankle injury. Listen for selected Pistons regular-season broadcasts on 99.3 The Lift.
The Calumet-Keweenaw Sportsmen’s Club will hold its annual Gun and Knife Show at the Siskiwit Hall in Calumet this weekend. The show will be open Friday from 4:00 until 9:00, and Saturday from 9:00 until 4:00. Vendors will offer guns, knives and other hunting and outdoor supplies. Admission is free.
• Calumet football plays at Houghton Saturday afternoon. The home team station gets the broadcast, coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97-7 The Wolf.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell football visits Carney-Nadeau Saturday afternoon, with coverage at 1:40 on KBear 102.
• Finlandia football hosts Minnesota-Morris Saturday afternoon. Coverage begins at 12:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.