Click on the highlighted scores for full stories.
In girls’ high school basketball last night…
– Houghton defeated Ontonagon 60-37.
– The Hancock at L’Anse game was postponed until next Wednesday.
– Calumet defeated Escanaba 50-40.
– The Lake Linden-Hubbell game at Baraga was postponed – no make-up date has been provided.
– Dollar Bay defeated Chassell 55-51. The Blue Bolts opened an early lead, but the Panthers came back to tie the game in the third quarter. Some clutch inside shooting by Meagan Kangas enabled Dollar Bay to regain the momentum. Kangas led all scorers with 21 points, and Jamie Sertich added 16 for the Blue Bolts. Karli Michaels led Chassell with 19 points.
– Ewen-Trout Creek lost to Watersmeet 56-39.
On the boys’ schedule tonight…
– Houghton plays at Hancock in the annual Wing Ding game. Our pregame coverage begins around 7:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Calumet travels to West Iron County.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell plays at L’Anse.
– Chassell visits Jeffers.
– Baraga tips off at Republic-Michigamme.
– Dollar Bay journeys to Ontonagon.
In high school hockey last night, L’Anse’s game at Kingsford was postponed. No make-up date has been provided.
In high school hockey today…
At the Trenton MIHL Showcase –
– Houghton faces Northville at 10:00. Our pregame coverage begins around 9:40 this morning on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Hancock takes on University Liggett at 12:20 this afternoon.
– Calumet meets Grandville at 2:40. Our pregame coverage be3gins around 2:20 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Jeffers entertains Ashland tonight.
Tomorrow morning at the Trenton Showcase…
– Hancock faces Hartland at 8:00. Our pregame coverage begins around 7:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Calumet takes on Grand Rapids Christian at 8:20.
– Houghton meets Trenton at 10:40.
– L’Anse entertains Ashland tomorrow afternoon at 1:00.
MTU Women Claim GLIAC North
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams earned victories over Hillsdale last night.
The 11th-ranked women’s team claimed at least a share of the GLIAC North title with an 88-57 victory. The Huskies took control early, with a 26-0 run in the first quarter. Kelli Guy led Tech with 21 points. The Huskies have won 12 games in a row.
The men’s team completed the sweep with a 72-62 victory. Ben Stelzer scored 29 points, and the Huskies sank 12 straight free throws in the closing minute to seal the win.
Both Huskies’ teams host Saginaw Valley State tomorrow. The women’s game starts at 1:00, and the men’s contest at 3:00 at the SDC.
The Michigan Tech hockey team skates at Alaska-Anchorage tonight and tomorrow night.
NMU Splits with SVSU
The Northern Michigan women’s basketball team overcame a sluggish start, and defeated Saginaw Valley State 66-48 last night. The men’s team fall to the Cardinals 82-72. Both Wildcats’ teams entertain Hillsdale tomorrow.
The Northern Michigan hockey team hosts Bemidji State tonight and tomorrow night.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey team entertains Lawrence University this weekend. Face-offs are at 7:15 tonight and 3:00 tomorrow at the Houghton County Arena. Kids who wear their hockey team jersey to tonight’s game will get in free, along with up to two parents or chaperones. Immediately following the game there will be a 30-minute “Skate with the Lions” session with Finlandia men’s and women’s hockey players.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team hosts the College of Saint Scholastica tomorrow night at 7:00 at the Houghton County Arena.
In Great Lakes Hockey League action this weekend, the Calumet Wolverines host the DePere Deacons tomorrow night at 7:30 at the Colosseum. The Portage Lake Pioneers will face the Deacons Sunday at 12:30 at Dee Stadium.
NHL – Red Wings Prepare for Jets
The Detroit Red Wings host the Jets tomorrow night. Faceoff is at 7:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
NBA – Pistons Off for All-Star Break
The Pistons are off for the all-star break. They’ll host the Bulls a week from tonight.
Our high school sports coverage continues all day, with Houghton against Northville hockey at 10:00… Calumet against Grandville hockey at 2:40… and Houghton-Hancock Wing Ding basketball tonight at 7:00. Hear the Copper Country’s most complete hockey and basketball coverage this winter on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.