Click on the highlighted scores for additional game details.
Of the four local teams that opened the high school football playoffs last night, only Lake Linden-Hubbell advanced.
In Division Six…
• Negaunee smothered Houghton 48-0.
• Calumet lost 44-39 at Menominee. The teams traded touchdowns through much of the first half, with the Copper Kings getting a 59-yard run by Amar Patterson, and a one-yard plunge and a 61-yard romp by Brayden Nelson. The Maroons added a score late in the second quarter, to take a 30-20 halftime lead. Calumet scored on its first two possessions of the second half, including a three-yard Nelson run, to take a 33-30 lead. Menominee reclaimed the lead, but the Kings scored again on a 38-yard Nelson run to gain a 39-38 advantage with three minutes remaining. The Maroons returned the ensuing kickoff to the Calumet 30-yard line, though, and were able to score the winning touchdown with just 49 seconds remaining.
• Menominee will play at Negaunee for the district title next week.
In Division Seven…
• L’Anse fell 59-8 at Traverse City Saint Francis.
In Eight Player Division Two…
• Lake Linden-Hubbell stuffed Forest Park 44-12.
• North Central overwhelmed Stephenson 54-6.
• The Lakes will play at North Central for the regional title next week.
In other games involving Upper Peninsula teams…
• In Division Five, Kingsford edged Kingsley 34-30. The Flivvers will play at unbeaten Gladwin next week.
• In Division Eight, Iron Mountain dispatched Ishpeming 42-6, and Bark River-Harris eliminated Saint Ignace 44-20. The Mountaineers will host the Broncos next week.
• In Eight Player Division One, Munising pounded Norway 58-12, and Newberry ousted Rogers City 54-6.
The Michigan Tech football team hosts top-ranked Grand Valley State today at 1:00 at Kearly Stadium.
Northern Michigan entertains Ferris State today .
Finlandia University hosts Westminster College today . Coverage begins at 12:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
The Michigan Tech hockey team blanked St. Lawrence 6-0 last evening. Six different Huskies scored, and Blake Pietila extended his all-time school shutout record to 12 games. Those teams skate again tonight at 6:07.
Northern Michigan lost to Alaska 2-1 last night. The Wildcats host the Nanooks again tonight.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team opened its regular season with an 11-1 loss at Saint Catherine’s last night. Those teams play again this afternoon in Saint Paul.
The Finlandia men’s team began its season with an 8-2 loss to Bethel University last evening. Those teams face off again today at 5:30 at the Houghton County Arena.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team lost 3-0 (25-20, 25-17, 25-20) at Wayne State last night. The Huskies play at Saginaw Valley State today.
Michigan Tech wrapped up its regular season with a 1-0 loss to Northern Michigan yesterday.
Cody Sivonen’s goal in overtime brought the Portage Lake Pioneers a 4-3 victory over the Marquette Mutineers last night. Jackson Rocchi netted his first goal as a Pioneer, and Spencer Donnelly scored twice. Those teams play again tonight at 730 at Dee Stadium.
The Red Wings host the Wild tonight. Coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
Detroit will be without forward Michael Rasmussen for two games. He’s been suspended for high-sticking Bruins forward David Krejci Thursday night.
The Pistons dropped their fifth straight game last night, 136-112 to the Hawks. Cade Cunningham scored a career-best 35 points for Detroit, and grabbed nine rebounds.
The Pistons host the Warriors tomorrow.
The Phillies edged the Astros 6-5 in the opening game of the World Series last night. Game two will be played tonight in Houston.
The Tigers re-signed free agent left-handed reliever Miguel Del Pozo to a minor league contract with an invitation to major league camp in spring training. Del Pozo has pitched in 89 games out of the bullpen for Triple-A Toledo over the past two seasons. He appeared in five games for the Tigers last season, but none this year.
• The Lions entertain the Dolphins in a 1:00 game on 99.3 The Lift. Running back D’Andre Swift is expected to return to the Detroit lineup after missing several weeks with injuries. Receiver Amon-Ra St Brown is listed as questionable.
• The Packers visit the Bills in the Sunday night contest.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Today – Finlandia University football hosts Westminster. Coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
- Wednesday – Houghton opens the volleyball playoffs at Gladstone or Escanaba. Coverage will begin at 5:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Wednesday – Calumet volleyball opens the playoffs at home against Westwood. Coverage will begin at 5:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and results to email@example.com.