Click on the highlighted scores for full stories.
In girls’ high school basketball last night…
– Houghton turned a narrow 17-15 halftime lead into a 41-19 blowout of Hancock. The Bulldogs scored only four points in the second half.
– The Copper Country Conference race got tighter, as Jeffers upended first-place Lake Linden-Hubbell 42-36. Haley Makela led all scorers with 17 for the Jets. Alexa Destrampe scored 11 for the Lakes.
– Lake Linden remains in first place, because Dollar Bay defeated Baraga 30-23.
– Calumet smothered Chassell 76-23.
– L’Anse lost to Ontonagon 51-42.
– Ewen-Trout Creek stopped Republic-Michigamme 42-25.
In boys’ high school basketball last night, Lake Linden-Hubbell took over sole possession of the Copper Country Conference lead with a solid 66-31 win over previously unbeaten Republic-Michigamme.
On the boys’ schedule tonight…
– Calumet entertains Baraga.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell visits Ewen-Trout Creek.
– Hancock travels to West Iron County.
– Houghton hosts Ontonagon.
– Jeffers tips off at L’Anse.
– Chassell plays at Dollar Bay. Hear the broadcast on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In high school hockey last night, Hancock outskated Jeffers 5-1. Matt Sanregret scored twice for the Bulldogs.
In hockey tonight, Calumet visits Negaunee.
MTU – Hockey Huskies Rise; Pietila Honored
The Michigan Tech hockey team is ranked eighth in the USCHO.com poll and ninth in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll this week. To see both polls, click here.
Michigan Tech forward Blake Pietila has been named WCHA Offensive Player of the Week. Pietila had three points, including Friday’s overtime game winner, in the Huskies’ sweep of Alaska.
MTU forward Ben Stelzer has been named the GLIAC North Division Men’s Player of the Week. Stelzer scored 39 points in the Huskies’ wins over Hillsdale and Saginaw Valley State. Northern Michigan guard Lauren Gruber was named the GLIAC North Women’s Player of the Week. She scored 41 points in the Wildcats’ wins over Hillsdale and Saginaw Valley State.
NHL – Red Wings Visit Panthers
The Red Wings will return to action tonight at Carolina. Faceoff is at 7:30 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
NBA – Pistons Entertain Cavaliers
The Pistons host the Cavaliers tonight.
Our high school basketball coverage continues tonight, when the Chassell boys play at Dollar Bay. Hear the Copper Country’s most complete hockey and basketball coverage this winter on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com. Hear the Super Bowl Sunday on the Keweenaw’s voice of the NFL playoffs, AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
To make sure your team’s scores are included in morning sports, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.