On the opening night of boys high school basketball tournament play…
• In Division Four, District 98, Lake Linden-Hubbell ousted Baraga 73-51. William Lyons led the Lakes with 30 points. Steele Jondreau scored 20 for the Vikings. The Lakes will host Dollar Bay Tamarack City tomorrow at 7:00. Chassell faces Republic-Michigamme in the other district semifinal tomorrow night.
• In Division Four, District 97, Ontonagon fell to Wakefield-Marenisco 82-28. The Cardinals play at Ewen-Trout Creek tomorrow. Watersmeet and Bessemer will play in the other semifinal.
• In Division Three, Ironwood eliminated Ishpeming 47-35. The Red Devils will face Westwood tomorrow. L’Anse edged Calumet 65-62 in overtime. The Purple Hornets controlled the game early, with hot shooting from Eli Ostermeyer. Calumet closed the gap late. Ostermeyer led all scorers with 32 points, including two critical free throws to ice the win. Alex Kissel added 19. Dryden Nelson scored 24 for the Copper Kings, and Brevin Antilla added 20. The Kings will play at Jeffers tomorrow night. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on KBear 102.3.
• In Division Two, Houghton ended its season with a 78-63 loss to Gladstone.
In girls tournament action tonight…
• In the Division Two, District 33 final – Houghton hosts Escanaba. Coverage begins at 5:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
• In Division Three, District 65 semifinals – Hancock entertains Negaunee at 7:00 – we’ll join the game in progress after the Houghton contest on 99.3 The Lift. Calumet plays at L’Anse. Coverage starts at 6:40 on 97.7 The Wolf.
• In Division Four, District 98 semifinals – Chassell plays at Ontonagon at 7:00. Baraga tips off at Lake Linden-Hubbell at 7:00.
• In Division Four, District 97 semifinals – Ewen-Trout Creek faces Watersmeet, and Ironwood takes on Wakefield-Marenisco.
See our full tournament broadcast schedule at KBear102.com.
Calumet faces Alpena in the high school hockey tournament quarterfinals tonight at Marquette. Coverage begins at 5:35 on KBear102.3.
Michigan Tech basketball standout Owen White has been named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches’ Division II All-America team.
The Finlandia University men’s soccer team has added a new recruit. Samuel Williams was Offensive Player of the Year at West Brook High School in Beaumont, Texas.
The Detroit Red Wings lost to the Nashville Predators 2-0 last night.
The Wings skate at Nashville again tomorrow night. Coverage begins at 7:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Indiana Pacers tonight.
In Grapefruit League play, the Detroit Tigers and the New York Yankees played to a 5-5 tie yesterday. Tarik Skubal gave up two runs over four innings.
The Tigers face the Philadelphia Phillies today. José Ureña will start for Detroit. Coverage begins at 1:00 on 99.3 The Lift.
In Cactus League action, the Milwaukee Brewers outslugged the Los Angeles Dodgers 9-6 yesterday. Keston Hiura hit two home runs. Christian Yelich and Omar Narváez had one each.
The Brewers will play the Colorado Rockies today. Adrian Houser is scheduled to start.
Keweenaw Little League will hold its first sign-up session of the season, tonight at 6:00 at the Lake Linden school. You can also sign your kids up online. Get full details here.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.