The Finlandia University baseball team has added another recruit. Infielder James Dawson from Mount Horeb, Wisconsin becomes the 21st member of this year’s class.
Training camps for major league baseball teams opened over the weekend. Pictures from Detroit show players working out, assisted by coaches and staff members who are wearing masks on the field.
There is a small, but growing number of players who will not take part in the shortened season because of COVID-19 concerns. Former Tigers pitcher David Price says he’ll sit out, rather than play for the Dodgers. Former Cy Young Award-winner Félix Hernández of the Seattle Mariners has opted out. Former Tiger Mike Fiers has not yet worked out at the Oakland Athletics’ camp, but says he’s made no final decision.
Milwaukee Brewers’ outfielder Ryan Braun says this year’s shortened season increases the chance that he’ll return for 2021. Early this year, Braun had hinted that he might retire after this season. He’ll turn 37 in November, and has been plagued by back problems in recent seasons. But, with limited games this summer, and the prospect of playing at least some of them as a designated hitter, Braun admits he’s re-thinking his position.
One of new Detroit Pistons general manager Troy Weaver’s first jobs will be to find some understudies. ESPN reports that assistant GM Pat Garrity will leave the team. His contract is expiring. Detroit’s other assistant GM, Malik Rose, recently took a job in the NBA front office.
The National Hockey League and the players union have agreed on COVID-19 protocols for the completion of the current season. The two sides continue to work an amending the collective bargaining agreement – a necessary step before play could resume late this month, or early in August.
The Detroit Lions have signed running back D’Andre Swift. The former University of Georgia star was their second-round pick in the recent amateur draft. Detroit’s first-round pick, Ohio State University cornerback Jeff Okudah, has not yet signed.
Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League play tonight…
• At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Pat’s Foods/Bucko’s will face Bucko’s/Labatts at 6:15, and then play Downtowner Two at 7:45.
• At the Hancock Driving Park, McGann’s/Northern Auto meets Koppers at 6:15, and Auto Pro/Thermoanalytics at 7:45.
In Copper Country Horseshoe League play this evening…
• Rocky’s will face Dreamland One at the Dreamland Bar.
• Ahmeek Fire Department will play Drift Inn at the Drift Inn.
• Calumet One will take on L and L at Rocky’s Bar.
• Dreamland Two will meet Harter’s Party Store at the Calumet Dam.
• Loading Zone will play 41 Lumber at the Gipp Recreation Center.
• Calumet Electronics will face Bucko’s Party Store at Buckie’s
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.