In high school baseball yesterday, Lake Linden-Hubbell dropped both of its games to the Gogebic Miners, 5-1 and 7-3.
In baseball this afternoon, weather permitting…
– Houghton plays at Calumet. Pregame coverage will begin at 3:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell entertains Ontonagon.
– Jeffers plays at L’Anse.
In softball yesterday…
– Calumet v the Gogebic Miners – no report.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell routed Jeffers 19-6 and 19-4. MacKenzie LePage was the winning pitcher in both games. She doubled and hit an inside-the-park home run in the first contest, and legged out two inside-the-park homers in the nightcap. Megan Corrigan also homered for the Lakes in the opener, and Madi Holombo hit an inside-the-park round-tripper for the Jets.
On today’s softball schedule…
– L’Anse plays at Calumet.
– Houghton visits Hancock
– Jeffers plays at Lake Linden-Hubbell – that game was moved to to the Bone Yard because of field conditions.
In high school golf, at the West Iron County Girls Invitational yesterday, Ontonagon and West Iron County tied at the top of the leaderboard, with Ontonagon claiming the win with a tiebreaker. Calumet finished fifth. Hancock’s Peyton Dube medaled individually.
The boys West Iron Invitational will be played today.
In high school track, the U.P. Regionals begin today.
– Calumet and Houghton will compete in Division One at Negaunee.
– Hancock and L’Anse run in Division Two at West Iron County.
– Local Division Three teams will compete tomorrow at Lake Linden.
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League play last night…
– At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Bucko’s/Labatt’s lost to Coca Cola/Monte Carlo 26-23. Grant Hokenson homered for Monte Carlo, and Aaron Barnes had five hits and scored five runs. Bucko’s/Labatt’s then fell to Harter’s Carquest 32-17. Jake Loukus, Alex Loukus, and Joe Rivest hit home runs for Harter’s.
– At Hurontown, Auto Pro/ThermoAnalytics shut down Koppers 24-6. Mike Turunen homered and scored five time for Auto Pro. Koppers v Luigi’s – no report.
– At Tapiola, Lake Superior Design v Downtowner 2 – no report; Lake Superior Design v McGann’s/Northern Auto – no report.
The Copper Country Fast Pitch League will hold an organizational meeting tomorrow night. Anyone planning to field a team this summer should meet at the Nara Nature Center Chalet at 6:00. Women interested in playing this summer can also attend the meeting, or can email email@example.com. The league is tentatively set to begin play June 1st.
Justin Verlander pitched seven strong innings, as the Houston Astros defeated the Detroit Tigers 5-1 yesterday. Verlander gave up just two hits – one a home run by JaCoby Jones. Detroit starter Gregory Soto gave up two runs over two innings. Nick Ramirez relieved him, and allowed two runs over four innings.
The Tigers will host the Oakland Athletics this afternoon. Spencer Turnbull will start against Chris Bassitt. Pregame coverage will begin at 12:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
Detroit has sent struggling third baseman Jeimer Candelario down to Toledo. Candelario is batting just .192 this season, and has only two hits in his past nine games.
Miguel Cabrera missed last night’s game with a sore knee. Manager Ron Gardenhire described the night off as “precautionary.”
The Milwaukee Brewers downed the Philadelphia Phillies 5-2 last evening. Gio Gonzalez pitched into the sixth inning, and gave up one run.
The Brewers visit the Phillies again this afternoon. Zach Davies will pitch against Zach Eflin.
Milwaukee has placed catcher Manny Piña on the injured list. He left last night’s game with a sore hamstring.
In the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs last night, the San Jose Sharks edged the Saint Louis Blues 5-4 in overtime. San Jose leads the Western Conference final 2-1.
The Boston Bruins visit the Carolina Hurricanes tonight. Boston leads the Eastern Conference final 3-0.
In NBA playoff action, the Milwaukee Bucks used a late surge to open the Eastern Conference final with a 108-100 victory over the Toronto Raptors.
Tonight, the Portland Trail Blazers visit the Golden State Warriors. Golden State leads the Western Conference final 1-0.
Former Forest Park standout Riley Hendrickson will join the Finlandia University men’s basketball team. Hendrickson averaged 14 points per game for the Trojans this past season.
Northern Michigan University is searching for a new head men’s basketball coach. Former head coach Bill Sall was introduced yesterday as the new head coach at his alma mater, Calvin College in Grand Rapids.
Email sports stories and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.