Click on the highlighted scores for additional game details.
In high school volleyball yesterday…
• Lake Linden-Hubbell defeated Chassell 3-0 (25-9, 25-12, 25-9). For Lake Linden-Hubbell, Abi Codere and Maddie Buschell each had five kills, Alli Corrigan had five aces and Payton Goldsworthy had 14 assists.
The high school football season opens tonight…
• Houghton plays at Iron Mountain – coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Hancock entertains L’Anse.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell was supposed to host Carney-Nadeau this evening, but Carney has canceled its season. Instead, the Lakes will open at Norway tonight.
• Ontonagon faces Gogebic at 5:00 at the Bessemer Field.
Calumet begins its season tomorrow night at Escanaba. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Tarik Skubal struggled, as the Tigers lost to the Cubs 6-4 yesterday. Skubal surrendered four runs over six innings. Detroit tried to rescue him, tying the game with Kerry Carpenter’s grand slam in the bottom of the sixth. Chicago picked up the winning run off Beau Brieske in the eighth, and added an insurance run in the ninth.
The Tigers have today off, and entertain the Astros tomorrow night. Matt Manning will start against Framber Valdez. Coverage will begin at 6:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
Spencer Turnbull’s rehab assignment is over, but he’s not returning to the Tigers. After posting a 6.75 ERA in six rehab starts, he will continue with the Mud Hens to try to regain his form. Turnbull’s comeback from Tommy John ligament replacement surgery earlier this summer was derailed by a neck injury.
The Brewers scored twice in the bottom of the 10th to edge the Twins 8-7 yesterday. William Contreras, Willy Adames and Tyrone Taylor homered. Elvis Peguero gave up a run in the top of the 10th, but wound up the winning pitcher after Adames and Brice Turang singled home runs in the bottom of the inning.
Milwaukee also has today off, and hosts the Padres tomorrow night. Brandon Woodruff will start against Yu Darvish.
With the win by the Cubs, and a victory by the Reds, Milwaukee’s lead in the National League Central Division remains at three-and-a-half games over Chicago, and four games over Cincinnati.
The Michigan Tech soccer team has been picked to finish fifth in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference this fall. Defending champion Grand Valley State was picked as the favorite in the preseason coaches’ poll. Ferris State was tabbed for second place, and Northern Michigan third.
High School Sports Broadcasts
- Tonight – Football – Houghton at Iron Mountain – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf
- Tomorrow – Football – Calumet at Escanaba – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.