Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In boys high school basketball last evening…
• Calumet lost to Iron Mountain 62-20.
On the boys schedule tonight…
• Baraga travels to North Dickinson.
On the girls schedule…
• L’Anse plays at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City.
• Ontonagon hosts Wakefield-Marenisco.
In girls-boys doubleheaders…
• Wing Ding begins, as both Houghton basketball teams entertain Hancock. The boys contest will tip off at 5:45, and the girls around 7:15. Doubleheader coverage will begin at 5:25 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf. The Wing Ding hockey game will be played tomorrow at Dee Stadium, and will also be broadcast on 97.7 The Wolf.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell plays at Chassell.
• Ewen-Trout Creek entertains Ironwood.
In high school hockey this evening…
• Calumet skates at Marquette. Coverage will begin at 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
The Houghton Alpine ski team travels to Ironwood for a meet at Powderhorn Mountain.
The Houghton swim team wraps up its regular season at home against Ishpeming.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams entertain Purdue Northwest tonight – the women at 5:30, and the men at 7:30.
Both Northern teams welcome Parkside this evening.
Thirty-two new Michigan Tech football players are heading to Kearly Stadium next fall. On national signing day yesterday, coach Dan Mettlach added seven defensive backs, and six offensive lineman. They include two players who helped Lake Linden-Hubbell reach the the eight-player Division Two state semifinals last season – Gabe Popko and Sam Roberts, who are both listed as tight ends. Other new Huskies from the Upper Peninsula include three players from Iron Mountain – wide receiver Matthew Colavecchi, linebacker Wyatt Scott, and defensive lineman Noah Johnson. Two Norway players will join them – receiver Wyatt Spade, and defensive back Ian Popp. Escanaba running back Ben Johnson and North Central offensive lineman Max Nason round out the U.P. contingent. Meet the full incoming class here.
Northern Michigan gained 44 new players yesterday. Yoopers include defensive lineman Evan Arbic from Pickford, Negaunee running back Kai Lacar, Kingsford receiver Cardel Morton and fullback Elizin Rouse, Marquette running back Tucker Welch, and Menominee quarterback Trevor Theuerkauf. Meet all the new Wildcats here.
The Red Wings return from the all-star break Saturday afternoon, when they host the Canucks. Coverage will start at 12:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Pistons earned a rare win last night, outscoring the Kings 133-120. Jaden Ivey led Detroit with a career-best 37 points. Alec Burks netted 25 off the bench. Jalen Duren had 20 points and 15 rebounds.
Last night’s win came without Cade Cunningham, Bojan Bogdanovic and Isaiah Stewart, who were rested because of injuries. Detroit was also without Monte Morris and Kevin Knox II, who were traded yesterday.
Morris went to the Timberwolves, in exchange for guard Shake Milton, forward Troy Brown Jr. and a 2030 second-round pick. Knox went to the Jazz, in exchange for forward Simone Fontecchio and a second-round pick in the 2024 draft. Detroit also gets the rights to Gabriele Procida, an Italian who is currently playing pro ball in Germany.
The NBA trade deadline is 3:00 this afternoon.
The Pistons continue their west coast trip tonight at Portland, with coverage starting at 9:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
Nick Maton is no longer a Tiger. After designating him for assignment last week, Detroit sold his contract to the Orioles yesterday.
The Brewers have a new catcher. Multiple reports say Milwaukee has signed a one-year deal with former Yankee Gary Sanchez, worth $7 million.
The annual Barneløpet will be held Sunday at the Maasto Hiihto trails. The Barneløpet features Nordic ski races for children ages three through 17. Registration begins at 1:00 in the chalet in Hancock. Races start at 2:00. For more details and registration information, click here.
High School Sports Broadcasts
- Tonight – Hockey – Calumet at Marquette – 6:10 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Tonight – Boys Basketball – Hancock at Houghton – Wing Ding – 5:45 tip-off – 5:25 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Tonight – Girls Basketball – Hancock at Houghton – Wing Ding – coverage will follow the boys game on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Tomorrow – Hockey – Hancock at Houghton – Wing Ding – 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Monday – Girls Basketball – Calumet at Houghton – 7:00 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Tuesday – Hockey – Calumet at Houghton – 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.