Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In high school hockey last night…
– Calumet took an early lead, and defeated Hancock 5-2. Brent Loukus scored twice in the first period. Josh VanDenburg stretched the lead to 3-0 early in the second period. Jacob Vettori and Alex Nordstrom scored late in the second period to trim the deficit to one, but the Copper Kings got goals from Ed Beiring and Sam Erkkila in the final three minutes to seal the win. The Kings outshot the Bulldogs 36-13. Nick Voelker got the win for Calumet, and Dawson Kero took the loss for Hancock.
– Jeffers defeated Kingsford 7-3.
In boys high school basketball last night…
– Houghton couldn’t hold a halftime lead, and fell to Ishpeming 49-42. The Gremlins found themselves down 10 point early in the game. They came back to take a five-point advantage into the break, but were unable to sustain the momentum. Freshman Bradley Sirard had 15 points for the Gremlins. Hart Holmgren of the Hematites led all scorers with 23 points.
– Hancock defeated Bessemer 57-49.
– Calumet lost to Negaunee 79-44.
– Jeffers defeated Republic-Michigamme 54-41.
– Chassell dropped a close 65-61 decision to Wakefield-Marenisco.
– Ontonagon surprised Ewen-Trout Creek 64-53.
– L’Anse overpowered Baraga 79-33.
Both Houghton High School swim teams scored easy victories over the Ishpeming/Negaunee teams yesterday. The girls took their match 126-44. Tessa Meyer won the 50 free and 100 fly. The boys claimed their match 111-69. Peter Jaszczak who won the 100 fly and 100 breaststroke.
The Detroit Red Wings lost their fifth straight game last night, falling to the New Jersey Devils 4-3. The Devils took control early with two first-period goals. Henrik Zetterberg got one back in the second period, but New Jersey extended the advantage to 4-1 before Tomas Tatar and Nick Jensen scored a couple of late tallies to make the score close. It was Jensen’s first NHL goal. Jared Coreau took the loss in net. The Wings will host the New York Islanders Friday. Faceoff is at 7:30 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
The Detroit Pistons host the New Orleans Pelicans tonight. Tip-off is at 7:30 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
This year’s Green Bay Packers Tailgate Tour will make a stop in Houghton. The visit is planned for April 6th at 6:00. Tour celebrities will include Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy, players Brett Hundley, Aaron Ripkowski and Jake Ryan, and Packers alumni Robert Ferguson, Ahman Green and Ryan Longwell. Tickets will cost $10.00, and money raised will benefit a local non-profit. The location and the non-profit will be announced at a later time. The Tailgate Tour will also visit Iron Mountain, and several cities in northern Wisconsin. The tour bus may also make some unscheduled stops, if time permits.
Our high school hockey coverage continues Friday, when Hancock faces Livonia Stevenson at the Trenton Showcase. Our broadcast will begin around 11:30 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com. Saturday, we’ll bring you Calumet’s game against Romeo at 8:00, and Houghton’s contest against Northville around 10:00.
The Atlanta Falcons and New England Patriots will play in the Super Bowl on Sunday. Pregame coverage begins around 2:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
Email sports stories and results to email@example.com.