The Detroit Tigers have released reliever Zack Godley. Godley signed a minor league contract with Detroit in December, after big-league stints with the Diamondbacks and Blue Jays. Manager Ron Gardenhire said there wouldn’t be room for Godley on the Detroit roster, and his early release will give him time to catch on with another team.
In the Tigers’ intrasquad game yesterday, starter Michael Fulmer was hit hard in the first inning, but bounced back, and concluded his outing by retiring Cameron Maybin, Christin Stewart and Harold Castro on 10 pitches in the third inning. Prospect Riley Greene made a highlight-reel catch in left field, leaping and reaching over the wall to rob C.J. Cron of a home run.
The Detroit Lions have signed their first-round pick from the 2020 amateur draft. Ohio State University cornerback Jeff Okudah was selected third overall. It’s a four-year deal worth $33 million. The Lions also confirmed yesterday that they signed second-round selection D’Andre Swift, and fifth-round picks Quintez Cephus and Jason Huntley.
As NHL training camps get underway, the league reports that 43 players have tested positive for COVID-19 infection.
The NBA has reported two positive tests since the teams arrived at Orlando to prepare to finish the season. An additional 19 positive tests that had been reported before teams arrived at the Wide World of Sports complex.
Another NCAA Division I conference has canceled all of its fall sports. The Patriot League has shut down all competition until January 1st. Officials say they will consider trying to run their fall sports programs next spring, if COVID-19 restrictions ease. The Ivy League recently made a similar decision.
Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League action last night…
• McGann’s/Northern Auto defeated A and S Industrial 16-9, then downed Downtowner Two 25-8.
• Koppers outscored Monte Carlo/Coca Cola 29-20, and then fell to Pat’s Foods/Bucko’s 17-11.
• Bucko’s/Labatt’s and Auto Pro/Thermoanalytics split their doubleheader, with Bucko’s taking the first game 10-9, and Auto Pro claiming the nightcap 23-13.
In Copper Country Horseshoe League play last evening…
• Drift Inn got past 41 Lumber 6-3.
• L and L downed Dreamland One 6-3.
• Rocky’s Bar defeated Dreamland Two 6-3.
• Ahmeek Fore Department stopped Calumet Electronics 7-2.
• Calumet One dispatched Harter’s Party Store 7-2.
• Loading Zone defeated Bucko’s Party Store 6-3.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.