On the opening day of the Major League Baseball playoffs…
• The Astros downed the Twins 4-1.
• The White Sox defeated the Athletics 4-1.
• The Rays stopped the Blue Jays 3-1.
• The Yankees clobbered the Indians 12-3.
All four of those best-of-three series continue today.
The other four series begin today…
• The Braves entertain the Reds.
• The Cubs welcome the Marlins.
• The Padres entertain the Cardinals.
• The Dodgers host the Brewers. Brent Suter will start against Walker Buehler.
Former Michigan Tech hockey standout Jake Lucchini has signed a one-year contract with the Montreal Canadiens. Lucchini began his career in the Penguins’ organization in March of 2019. He was traded to the Canadiens in February of 2020. The deal is worth $85,000 if he continues to play in the AHL, and $700,000 if he advances to the NHL.
The NBA championship series between the Heat and the Lakers begins tonight.
The Tennessee Titans and Minnesota Vikings have suspended in-person activities because of COVID-19 concerns. Three Titans players and five staff members have tested positive for the coronavirus. The Vikings have not announced any positive tests, but have shut down because they played the Titans last Sunday. It’s not known if either team will be allowed to play this coming weekend. The Titans are scheduled to host the Steelers. The Vikings are scheduled to visit the Texans.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.