The Finlandia University baseball team has signed another player. Eastyn Culp is a pitcher and infielder from Vancouver, Washington.
Prospects for a Major League Baseball season this summer are suddenly in doubt. Just a few days after saying he was “100 percent certain” that baseball would be played, commissioner Rob Manfred told ESPN yesterday that he is now “not confident” that games will take place. Manfred said owners are still “100 percent committed to getting baseball back on the field,” but lamented that the players union has broken off negotiations. Major League Baseball Players Association president Tony Clark responded by again accusing Manfred and the owners of negotiating in bad faith. In addition, several baseball team staff members and players have recently tested positive for COVID-19, raising questions about whether the season can be played safely.
Several members of the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans have also tested positive for COVID-19. The group includes Dallas running back Ezekiel Elliott. The news comes as Texas is experiencing a spike in COVID-19 cases, while reopening the state to business.
On the opening night of the Copper Country Men’s Slow Pitch League…
• McGann’s/Northern Auto defeated Pat’s Foods/Bucko’s 29-10, then downed Auto Pro/Thermoanalytics 18-12.
• Bucko’s/Labatts scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth to edge Coca Cola/Monte Carlo 13-12… then went on to defeat A and S Industrial 20-11.
• Results of the doubleheader between Koppers and DT 2 were not reported.
Multiple media reports say the Detroit Pistons are negotiating with Troy Weaver to become their next general manager. Weaver is currently the vice president of basketball operations for the Oklahoma City Thunder. Detroit has been without a general manager since Jeff Bower was fired two years ago.
In Copper Country Horseshoe League play last night…
• Dreamland One shut down Drift Inn 8-1.
• Calumet One blanked Calumet Electronics 9-0.
• Rocky’s Bar shut out Bucko’s Party Store 9-0.
• Dreamland Two edged Loading Zone 5-4.
• L and L stopped 41 Lumber 7-2.
• Harter’s Party Store defeated Ahmeek Fire Department 8-1.
Email sports news to firstname.lastname@example.org.