In high school boys basketball last night, Houghton defeated L’Anse 56-45. Brad Sirard led the Gremlins with 27 points, and George Butvilas added 19.
In girls play last evening…
– Houghton lost at Westwood 54-39.
– Hancock got past Jeffers 35-28. Taylor Sebbas scored 12 points for the Bulldogs.
– Calumet lost to Marquette 47-41. Elli Djerf led the Copper Kings with 14 points.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City fell to Republic-Michigamme 42-26.
– Chassell edged Wakefield-Marenisco 38-37.
– Ewen-Trout Creek downed Ontonagon 45-32.
– Baraga shut down Bessemer 61-12.
In high school hockey last night…
– Houghton scored two goals in the third period to put away Birmingham Brother Rice 3-1. Niko Rajala’s goal in the second period tied the game at 1-1. Jeff Heinonen’s tally midway through the third period was the game-winner, and P.J. Donnelly added a late empty-netter. Jimmy Pietila made 29 saves.
– Jeffers v Rice Lake at the Hayward Invitational in Wisconsin – not reported.
– Calumet hosts Birmingham Brother Rice. Our coverage will begin at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Jeffers faces either Hayward or Kettle Moraine at the Hayward Invitational.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey team earned a 4-0 victory at Lawrence University last night. Cory Richardson’s goal four minutes into the game proved to be the game-winner. Tyler Watungwa, Hunter Kero and Teddy Randell also scored. Marcus Gloss stopped 34 shots to earn the shutout in goal. The Lions play at Marian University today.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team claimed a 13-0 exhibition win over the Sault College Cougars last evening. Bella Abear scored four goals for the Lions, and Natasha Kern had a hat trick. Those teams play again this afternoon at 2:30.
The Lions women’s basketball team entertains Adrian College this afternoon at 1:00 at the Paavo Nurmi Center.
The Michigan Tech hockey team shut out 10th-ranked Bowling Green State University 2-0 last evening. Gavin Gould broke a scoreless tie in the third period, and Justin Misiak added the insurance marker. Robbie Beydoun made 27 saves. Those teams skate again tonight at 7:07 at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena.
The Northern Michigan University hockey squad outscored Alaska-Anchorage 5-1 last night. The Wildcats have won five straight, and play at Anchorage again tonight.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams will entertain Lake Superior State University today. The women’s contest starts at 1:00, and the men tip off at 3:00.
Both Northern Michigan University teams will host Ferris State University.
The Portage Lake Pioneers lost to the De Pere Deacons 7-4 last night. The Pioneers will visit the Eagle River Falcons tonight.
The Calumet Wolverines are off this weekend.
The Detroit Pistons’ west coast trip continues against the Los Angeles Clippers this afternoon.
The Detroit Red Wings lost to the Winnipeg Jets 4-2 last night. The Jets scored the first three goals of the game. Detroit came back with tallies by Luke Glendening and Dennis Cholowski, but an empty-netter by Winnipeg sealed the game. Jonathan Bernier made 23 saves. The Wings visit the Minnesota Wild tonight. Because of NFL football on 99.3 The Lift, we’ll join the Wings game in progress after high school hockey on KBear 102.3.
The NFL Divisional playoff games will be played this weekend…
– Today, the Indianapolis Colts visit the Kansas City Chiefs, and the Los Angeles Rams host the Dallas Cowboys. Pregame coverage begins at 4:00 on 99.3 The Lift.
– Tomorrow, the New England Patriots entertain the Los Angeles Chargers, and the Philadelphia Eagles visit the New Orleans Saints. Pregame coverage begins at 12:30 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Tigers have signed one-year contracts with four more of their arbitration-eligible players. Nicholas Castellanos, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Norris and Blaine Hardy agreed to terms yesterday. Michael Fulmer is the only player eligible for arbitration that has not reached a deal.
Email sports stories and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.