In hockey last night…
• Houghton stopped Detroit-Jesuit 5-1. Cade Farrell, Camden Markham, Landon Stevens, Brendan Miller and Connor Raffaelli scored for the Gremlins. Bryant Lee made 15 saves.
• Calumet lost to Brother Rice 5-2.
• Jeffers fell to Medford 6-1 at the Merrill Tournament in Wisconsin.
• Houghton hosts Brother Rice. Coverage begins at 4:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Calumet entertains Detroit-Jesuit. Coverage begins at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Jeffers will face Merrill at the Merrill Tournament.
In boys basketball last night…
• Houghton raced past Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 79-47.
• Calumet ripped West Iron County 52-18.
On the girls schedule last evening…
• Houghton outscored Westwood 78-68.
• Calumet overpowered Marquette 69-27. Alexis Strom paced the Copper Kings with 18 points. Caitlyn Strom and Marybeth Halonen each added 10.
• Hancock fell to Escanaba 58-53.
• Jeffers dropped a heartbreaker to Ironwood, 42-41. Sara Johnson scored 15 for the Jets. Alyssa Ruotsala and Anna Buerger each scored 12 for the Red Devils.
• L’Anse lost at Bessemer 38-32.
In high school swimming today…
• Houghton competes at the Marquette Splash-n-Dash.
The Michigan Tech hockey team blanked Lake Superior State 3-0 last night. Brian Halonen, Brett Thorne and Justin Misiak each had a goal and an assist. Blake Pietila stopped 21 shots to earn his fourth shutout of the season. Those teams skate again tonight at the Soo.
The Northern hockey team stunned top-ranked Minnesota State 4-2 last night. The Wildcats were outshot 32-18, but Rico DiMatteo made 30 saves. Those teams meet again this evening in Marquette. It’s the second time this season that Northern has toppled a top-ranked team – they took two from then-number-one Minnesota-Duluth in early December.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey team fell to Adrian College 6-1 last night. The Lions hung tough against the top-ranked Bulldogs early, allowing just one goal in the first period. Adrian broke the game open with four tallies in the second stanza. Finlandia’s only goal came off the stick of Phil Schader with one second remaining in the second frame. Marcus Gloss made 34 saves, as the Bulldogs outshot the Lions 40-11. Those teams skate again this afternoon at the Houghton County Arena. Because of NFL football on 99.3 The Lift, the Lions game will begin at 1:40 on KBear 102.3.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team’s games at Trine University have been postponed.
The Michigan Tech men’s basketball team plays at Saginaw Valley State today. The women’s contest has been postponed because of COVID-19 issues with the Cardinals.
Both Northern teams visit Wayne State today.
Both Finlandia basketball teams have the weekend off.
The Finlandia volleyball team has introduced a new recruit. Ceana Floyd was the team MVP at Mountain Home High School in Idaho.
The Calumet Wolverines lost 8-1 to the Mosinee Papermakers last night.
The Portage Lake Pioneers skate at Mosinee tonight.
The Detroit Red Wings host the Buffalo Sabres tonight.
The Detroit Pistons shut down the Toronto Raptors 103-87 last night. Trey Lyles led Detroit with 21 points.
The Pistons host the Phoenix Suns tomorrow.
The NFL playoffs begin with the Wildcard Round this weekend…
• Today, the Las Vegas Raiders visit the Cincinnati Bengals at 4:30, and the Buffalo Bills host the New England Patriots at 8:15.
• Tomorrow, the Philadelphia Eagles visit the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at 1:00. The Dallas Cowboys entertain the San Francisco 49ers at 4:30. The Kansas City Chiefs welcome the Pittsburgh Steelers at 8:15.
• Monday, the Arizona Cardinals visit the Los Angeles Rams.
Hear all of the NFL playoff games, including the Super Bowl, on 99.3 The Lift.
Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, receiver Davante Adams and linebacker De’Vondre Campbell have all been voted first-team All-Pro. No Detroit Lions received even a single vote from the panel of 50 sportswriters assembled by the Associated Press.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Today – hockey – Brother Rice at Houghton – 4:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Today – hockey – Detroit-Jesuit at Calumet – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Today – hockey – Adrian College at Finlandia – 1:40 pregame on KBear 102.3.
• Tuesday – hockey – Calumet at Jeffers – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tuesday – girls basketball – Houghton at Calumet – 7:00 pregame on 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.