The Michigan Tech hockey team has introduced eight new players for the 2020-21 season. The class consists of goaltenders Cayden Bailey and Mark Sinclair, defensemen Jed Pietila and Brett Thorne, and forwards Carson Bantle, Arvid Caderoth, Nick Nardella, and Blais Richartz.
New goaltenders include…
• Cayden Bailey from Estero, Florida, who set a new North American Hockey League record with a 1.32 goals-against average last season for the Lone Star Brahmas.
• Mark Sinclair, who is transferring in after appearing in 65 games over the last three seasons at Alabama-Huntsville.
New defensemen include…
• Brett Thorne of Bedford, Nova Scotia, who was named Defenseman of the Year by the Central Canada Hockey League after leading all blueliners with 74 points for the Carleton Place Canadians.
• Jed Pietila from Howell, Michigan, who was captain of the NAHL’s Austin Bruins last season. He is a cousin to to current Huskies Blake and Logan Pietila, Brian Halonen, and David Raisanen.
New forwards include…
• Carson Bantle of Onalaska, Wisconsin, who averaged a point per game with the USHL’s Madison Capitols last season.
• Arvid Caderoth from Askim, Sweden, who has played with the Swedish National Team.
• Nick Nardella from Rosemont, Illinois, who was captain and points leader of the NAHL’s Janesville Jets last season.
• Blais Richartz from Menomonie, Wisconsin, who has played three seasons in the USHL.
Lance West has been named head coach of the Alabama-Huntsville hockey team. West was an assistant for the program for the past two seasons. He was appointed interim head coach last month, after the resignations of former head coach Mike Corbett and fellow assistant coach Gavin Morgan.
Michael Fulmer worked out of a first-inning jam, then struck out the side in the second inning, as the Detroit Tigers suffered a 2-1 exhibition loss to the Cincinnati Reds last evening. Tyler Alexander gave up one run over two innings. The Reds scored the game-winner off Anthony Castro in the eighth.
After nearly two years recovering from injuries, Fulmer has returned to the Tigers’ starting rotation. The official announcement hasn’t yet been made, but it appears he and Alexander will form a starting tandem, as Fulmer continues to build up his pitch count.
The Tigers open the regular season tomorrow night in Cincinnati. Pregame coverage begins at 5:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers defeated the Chicago White Sox 5-3 in their only preseason contest last evening. Adrian Houser pitched into the fifth inning, and gave up a run on two hits. Keston Hiura, Christian Yelich, Ben Gamel and Orlando Aria homered.
The Brewers begin their regular season tomorrow night against the Cubs in Chicago.
Ryan Braun appeared as the designated hitter in last night’s game, and appears to be ready to play tomorrow. He’s been battling an oblique injury.
If fans are allowed at NFL games this season, masks will be required. The league-wide mandate was announced yesterday.
Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League play last evening…
• A and S Industrial got past Bucko’s/Labatts 15-12.
• McGann’s/Northern Auto downed Koppers 23-8.
• Pat’s Foods/Bucko’s and Monte/Coke/UP Splice split their doubleheader, with Pat’s taking the opener 14-8, and Monte claiming the nightcap 12-9.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.