Click on the blue highlights for additional details.
At the MIHL Trenton Showcase yesterday…
– Calumet overwhelmed Flint Powers Catholic 5-1. After spotting the Chargers the first tally of the game, the Copper Kings got two goals from Sam Erkkila, and single goals from Hunter Rowe, Davin Lehto and Tyler Johson to put the game away. Alex Mattila and Josh VandenBurg each had two assists, and Nick Voelker made 23 saves to get the win.
– Austin Salani’s six-on-four goal with 22 seconds remaining to tie the game, but Hancock wound up losing to Plymouth 3-2 in a shootout. Trevor Thchida scored the Bulldogs’ other goal. Dawson Kero made 24 saves.
– Dawson McKay and P.J. Donnelly scored shootout goals, as Houghton edged Cranbrook 3-2. All of the regulation scoring came within a five-and-a-half minute stretch midway through the second period. Kevin Bostwick and Brendan Erickson had the Gremlins’ goals. Will Stier made 21 saves.
– Calumet faces Warren de la Salle at 8:20. Our broadcast will begin at 8:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Hancock meets Brighton at 8:40.
– Houghton plays Dearborn Divine Child at noon. Our broadcast will begin around 11:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
The Wisigan Classic began last night at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena…
– L’Anse fell to Negaunee 4-1.
– Jeffers got past Tomahawk 6-4.
Today, L’Anse meets Tomahawk at noon, and Jeffers plays Negaunee at 2:00.
In high school girls basketball today, L’Anse visits Ontonagon for a game that was rescheduled from January 22nd.
In boys basketball last night…
– Hancock lost at L’Anse 55-46.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell fell at Bessemer 62-47.
– Chassell got past Republic-Michigamme 57-52.
– Ontonagon stopped Wakefield-Marenisco 53-39.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City shut down Baraga 68-30.
– Ewen-Trout Creek pounded Jeffers 71-41.
The Dollar Bay and Ewen-Trout Creek victories mean both of those teams will be unbeaten when they face each other Wednesday night at the SDC. Our broadcast coverage will begin around 7:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey team lost to Northland College 5-3 last night. The Lions got goals from Paul Lochner, Alex Rezansoff and former Houghton standout Connor Hannon. Former Gremlin Marcus Gloss made 27 saves. Finlandia will host St. Scholastica tonight at the Houghton County Arena. Our coverage will begin at 6:40 in advance of a 7:00 faceoff on 99.3 The Lift and 993TheLift.com.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team lost 6-1 to St. Scholastica yesterday. Sierra Meiners scored FinnU’s only goal. Annah Smiddy made 27 saves. The Lions host the Saints again today. Faceoff is at 12:30. Today’s contest will include a benefit for the Copper Country Humane Society, with a jersey auction, and other fundraising activities.
The Finlandia men’s basketball team entertains Bay College this afternoon at 3:00 at the Paavo Nurmi Center. Former Jeffers Jet Caleb Maki plays for the Norse.
The MTU hockey team lost 7-2 at 14th-ranked Bowling Green last night. The Falcons opened up a 4-0 lead before Alex Smith found the net early in the third period. Jake Lucchini scored the Huskies’ other goal. Patrick Munson gave up the first three Bowling Green goals. Robbie Beydoun replaced him, and allowed the final four. The Huskies skate at Bowling Green again tonight.
Despite the loss, Tech clinched a Western Collegiate Hockey Association playoff berth, because of Alaska-Anchorage’s loss to Lake Superior State.
The NMU hockey team skates at Alabama-Huntsville this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon.
Both Michigan Tech teams host Purdue Northwest this afternoon. The women’s contest starts at 1:00, and the men’s game at 3:00 at the SDC.
Both Northern Michigan University hoops teams entertain Grand Valley State this afternoon.
The score of the Portage Lake Pioneers’ game against the Eagle River Falcons last night was not reported.
The Calumet Wolverines host the Fond du Lac Bears tonight. Faceoff is at 7:30 at the Colosseum.
The Detroit Pistons host the Miami Heat tonight.
Darren Helm’s goal late in the third period lifted the Detroit Red Wings to a 4-3 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes last night. Helm added two assists. Danny DeKeyser, Trevor Daley and Gustav Nyquist also scored, and Petr Mrazek made 36 saves. The Wings visit the Florida Panthers tonight. Because of Finlandia hockey on 99.3 The Lift, pregame coverage will begin at 6:40 on KBear 102.3.
The New England Patriots take on the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl LII tomorrow. Kickoff is at 6:30 on 99.3 The Lift.
Former Detroit Tigers reliever Bruce Rondón has signed a minor league deal with the Chicago White Sox. Rondón was once viewed as the Tigers’ closer of the future, but poor performance and attitude problems led Detroit to part company with him at the end of last season.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.