In the Calumet Invitational cross country meet yesterday…
• The Houghton boys earned another easy victory. Gremlin runners took five of the top 12 positions, with Eric Weiss placing first individually. Ewen-Trout Creek’s Jonah Nordine was the runner-up. Jeffers placed second in the team competition, followed by Negaunee, Ironwood and Westwood.
• The Houghton girls finished second to Negaunee in the girls meet. Hancock was third, followed by Ironwood, Calumet and Westwood. Ishpeming’s Lola Korpi placed first individually, with Ingrid Seagren of the Gremlins second.
See full results here.
In high school volleyball tonight…
• Calumet hosts Lake Linden-Hubbell.
• Hancock travels to West Iron County.
• L’Anse welcomes Ironwood.
• Jeffers hosts Baraga.
• Chassell visits Ewen-Trout Creek.
See the full schedule for all our local high school teams here.
The Finlandia University men’s soccer team plays at Lincoln Christian in Illinois this afternoon.
The Michigan Tech hockey team has been picked to finish third in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association this season. Coaches in the reconstituted league tabbed Minnesota State to place first, and Bemidji State second. Northern Michigan is projected to finish fourth, and Lake Superior State sixth. The Mavericks placed four players on the Preseason All-Conference Team. Tech defenseman Colin Swoyer and Wildcats forward Joseph Nardi round out the roster. Trenton Bliss of the Huskies received honorable mention votes.
The Finlandia University’s men’s hockey team will hold an equipment sale Saturday from 9:00 until noon in the lobby of the Houghton County Arena. Available items include sticks and pads.
The Detroit Tigers edged the Chicago White Sox 4-3 last night. Harold Castro singled home Robbie Grossman with the winning run in the bottom of the eighth inning. Matt Manning gave up three runs over five innings.
Because of anticipated poor weather in Detroit, tonight’s game between the Tigers and the Sox has been moved up to this afternoon. Coverage will begin at 12:50 on 99.3 The Lift. Tyler Alexander will start against Dallas Keuchel.
The Milwaukee Brewers fell to the Saint Louis Cardinals 5-2 last evening. Freddy Peralta gave up three runs over six innings and took the loss. Both Milwaukee runs scored in the second inning, on solo home runs by Avisaíl García and Luis Urías.
The Brewers entertain the Cardinals again this evening. Brandon Woodruff will start against Jake Woodford.
Milwaukee’s magic number for clinching the National League Central Division title remains at three.
The Brewers brought shortstop Willy Adames off the injured list yesterday, and sent Tim Lopes down to Nashville.
Aaron Rodgers threw four touchdown passes, as the Green Bay Packers outscored the Detroit Lions 35-17 last night. Detroit led 17-14 at halftime, but the Pack dominated the second half. Rodgers completed 22 of 27 passes for 255 yards. Jared Goff connected on 26 of 36 passes for 246 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception.
If you played The Wolf Pro Football Challenge, you must have selected at least 12 games correctly to be eligible to become our weekly winner.
High School Broadcasts
• The Houghton volleyball team plays at Hancock in the Copper Spike match Thursday. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• The Houghton football team hosts Hancock in the Copper Bowl game Friday night. Coverage will start at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• The Calumet football team plays at Gwinn Friday night. Coverage will start at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• The Lake Linden-Hubbell football team plays at North Central Friday night. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.