Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In boys regular-season basketball last night…
– Houghton edged Calumet 44-41.
– L’Anse got past Hancock 60-57. Chad Raasio had 24 points for the Bulldogs. Brandt Tembreull scored 14 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for the Purple Hornets.
– Chassell downed Lake Linden-Hubbell 62-53.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City defeated Republic-Michigamme 72-47.
– Jeffers overpowered Baraga 100-29. Jaden Wood scored 38 for the Jets. His 10 three-point shots set a single game school record, and also gave him the season record for three-pointers.
– Ewen-Trout Creek dominated Wakefield-Marenisco 70-44. Jake Witt scored 24 for the Panthers, and Austin Bergland added 21.
In girls basketball tournament play tonight…
– In the Class D district at Lake Linden, Jeffers will face Chassell at 5:30. Baraga will meet Dollar Bay at 7:30. Our coverage of both games will begin around 5:10 on 97.7 The Wolf and TheWolf.com.
– In the Class C district at Calumet, Calumet will take on Hancock for the district title at 7:00.
– In the Class B district, Kingsford will meet Gladstone. Houghton will open tournament play at Escanaba at 7:00. We’ll broadcast Houghton’s game on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
The regional hockey semifinals will be played tonight. Calumet will take on Jeffers at 6:00. Houghton will face L’Anse at 8:00. Our broadcast of both games from the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena will begin around 5:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams advanced to the semifinals of the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference basketball tournament with victories last night.
The women’s team used a big third quarter to eliminate Ohio Dominican 82-66. The Huskies trailed by three at halftime, but outscored the Panthers 26-11 in the third stanza to take control. Morgan Anderson led the effort with 28 points. The Huskies head to Ashland, where they’ll face the top-seeded Eagles Saturday afternoon at 2:00.
The men’s team never trailed after the first minute of a tight game, and gradually pulled away from Wayne State 92-84. Kyle Monroe scored 27. The Huskies head to Ferris State for a match against the top-seeded Bulldogs Saturday at 3:00.
The Northern Michigan University women’s team was eliminated with a 62-45 loss to Saginaw Valley State. The NMU men’s team did not qualify for the tournament.
The Finlandia baseball team lost 20-3 to Lyndon State College yesterday. Joey Krug homered in his second straight game for Finlandia. The Lions will continue their spring visit to Orlando with a doubleheader against St. Mary’s University of Minnesota this afternoon.
The Finlandia University softball team opened their spring visit to Clermont, Florida, with a pair of losses. The Lions fell to Concordia-Moorhead 6-3. Jayleen Bonilla had three hits. Finlandia then lost to York College 4-2. The Lions will take on the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology and Waynesburg University this morning.
The Detroit Red Wings edged the Vancouver Canucks 3-2 in overtime last night. Justin Abdelkader’s power play tally was the game-winner. Petr Mrazek stopped 25 shots. The Wings will skate at Calgary Friday night. Faceoff is at 9:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
Before the game, the Wings traded defenseman Brendan Smith to the New York Rangers. In return, Detroit got a third-round draft pick in 2017 and a second-rounder, which was originally owned by the Ottawa Senators, in 2018. After the game, they sent forward Steve Ott to the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for a 2018 sixth-round draft pick. The NHL trade deadline is this afternoon at 3:00.
The Detroit Pistons also went to overtime last night, rallying from 13 points down to edge the Portland Trail Blazers 120-113. Marcus Morris scored a career-high 37 points. The Pistons play at New Orleans tonight. We’ll join the game after Houghton girls basketball on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
In spring training play, the Detroit Tigers lost to the New York Yankees 9-5 yesterday. Daniel Norris had control problems in his first start of the spring. He didn’t give up a run, but left with two outs in the second inning after throwing 40 pitches. The Tigers split their squad this afternoon. Half will take on the Nationals. Hear the broadcast at 1:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY. The other half will face the Blue Jays.
The Milwaukee Brewers lost to the Kansas City Royals 6-3 yesterday. The Brewers will face the Cincinnati Reds this afternoon.
Email sports stories and results to email@example.com.