Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
The Munising boys basketball team claimed its first state championship Saturday, edging defending champion Wyoming Tri-Unity Christian 39-37. Two Kane Nebel free throws with 18 seconds remaining gave the Mustangs a seven-point lead. The Defenders closed the gap with three free throws and a late two-pointer, but Munising held on for the win. Nebel finished with 14 points.
In the other boys championship games…
• In Division Three, Flint Beecher outscored Traverse City St. Francis 64-50.
• In Division Two, Ferndale got past Grand Rapids South Christian 44-38.
• In Division One, Cass Tech defeated Muskegon 78-63.
On day two of the annual Spring Swing Softball Invitational at the Superior Dome yesterday…
• Lake Linden-Hubbell stopped Florence 5-1.
• The Houghton JV outscored the Hurley JV 10-3.
• The Calumet JV fell to the Kingsford JV 11-9.
• Hancock lost to Bonduel 12-7.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell downed Calumet 6-2. Emily Jokela of the Lakes struck out 13 over the first five innings, and Cleo Milkey blasted a late three-run home run.
• The Calumet JV fell to the Bonduel JV 9-3.
• Houghton routed Marquette 14-2. The game was limited to three innings because of time restraints. Houghton’s first eight batters reached base and scored, four on a grand slam by Faye Zapolnik. Gwen Markham had a single and two doubles, and scored three runs.
• The Houghton JV outscored the Kingsford JV 13-8.
• Calumet lost to Negaunee 7-1. Helen Beiring homered for the Copper Kings.
On today’s schedule for local teams…
• L’Anse v Newberry – 8:00 – Field One
• Houghton v Superior Central – 8:00 – Field Two – broadcast on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Negaunee v Hancock – 9:30 – Field Two
• Hancock v Escanaba – 12:30 – Field Two
• Houghton v Norway – 2:00 – Field Two – broadcast on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• North Dickinson v Houghton JV – 3:30 – Field One
Half of the NCAA men’s Frozen Four has been decided. Saturday, Boston University edged Cornell 2-1 to win the Manchester Regional. Minnesota dumped St. Cloud State 4-1 to take the Fargo Regional. Today, Quinnipiac meets Ohio State for the Bridgeport Regional crown. Penn State will face Michigan in the Allentown regional championship game tonight.
The Calumet Wolverines edged the Marquette Mutineers 10-9 Saturday night. Dylan Boberg’s goal with 30 seconds remaining tied the contest, and Matt Yeo scored the game-winner in overtime. Brent Loukus had five goals.
Calumet will host the GLHL tournament, with games beginning Friday. Most contests will take place at the Colosseum, but some will be staged at Dee Stadium.
Here is the schedule:
Group A: Fond du Lac Bears (1), Eagle River Falcons (4), Calumet Wolverines (5), De Pere Deacons (8)
Group B: Portage Lake Pioneers (2), Mosinee Papermakers (3), Fox Cities Ice Dogs (6), Marquette Mutineers (7)
Game 1 – 10:30 – Fond du Lac v De Pere – Colosseum
Game 2 – 11:00 – Portage Lake v Marquette – Dee Stadium
Game 3 – 1:30 – Eagle River v Calumet – Colosseum
Game 4 – 2:00 – Mosinee v Fox Cities – Dee Stadium
Game 5 – 8:00 – Game 1 winner v Game 3 winner – Colosseum
Game 6 – 10:30 – Game 2 winner v Game 4 winner
Game 7 – 9:00 – Game 1 loser v Game 3 loser – Colosseum
Game 8 – 11:30 – Game 2 loser v Game 4 loser – Colosseum
Game 9 – 2:00 – Game 5 loser v Game 7 winner – Colosseum
Game 10 – 4:30 – Game 6 loser v Game 8 winner – Colosseum
Game 11 – 7:00 – Game 6 winner v Game 9 winner – Colosseum
Game 12 – 10:00 – Game 5 winner v Game 10 winner – Colosseum
Game 13 – 1:00 – Game 11 winner v Game 23 winner – Colosseum
The Red Wings fell to the Flyers 3-0 Saturday. Alex Nedeljkovic stopped 19 shots.
The Wings host the Penguins Tuesday. Coverage will begin at 9:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Pistons welcome the Bucks tomorrow. Coverage begins at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
Parker Meadows’ three-run homer powered the Tigers to a 4-0 victory over the Blue Jays Saturday evening. Tyler Alexander and seven relievers held Toronto to just three hits.
The Tigers play the Rays this afternoon. Edwin Uceta will start for Detroit. Coverage will begin at 1:00 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Brewers edged the Athletics 6-5 Saturday. Wes Clarke’s double in the top of the ninth drove home the winning run. Starter Adrian Houser left the game with groin tightness after giving up two runs in the second inning.
The Brewers play the Diamondbacks today. Brandon Woodruff will start for Milwaukee.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.