Naugle Throws Twilight Two-Hitter – Wednesday Sports Wrap
MLB: Tigers Come Back to Rout Dodgers
Justin Verlander gave up five runs in the first inning… but the Tigers roared back to claim a 14-5 victory last night. Verlander settled down, and pitched shutout ball through the sixth. Detroit rebounded with five runs in the second. By the time Verlander left, they led by seven. The Tigers’ offense rapped out 20 hits… including rbi triples from Miguel Cabrera and J.D. Martinez. It was just the fourth time in the past half-century that they scored 14 or more without a home run.
The Tigers wrap up that quick series against the Dodgers this afternoon. Max Scherzer will start against Zack Greinke. Hear the first pitch at 1:08 on AM 1400, WCCY.
The Royals lost, so the Tigers now lead the American League Central by four-and-a-half games.
Tigers’ outfielder Andy Dirks singled in his first game on a rehab assignment with Detroit’s Class A team in Lakeland. Dirks is recovering from back surgery this spring. If things go well, he could be moved up to Toledo late next week.
Brewers Can’t Hold Early Lead; Fall to Phils
The Brewers took a quick early lead with a five-run first inning… but the Phillies scored five in the second… and went on to a 9-7 victory. Wily Peralta took the loss. He was charged with all nine Philadelphia runs before leaving in the fifth inning. Lyle Overbay hit a grand slam for Milwaukee… and Scooter Gennett and Mark Reynolds also homered.
The Brewers host the Phillies again tonight. Kyle Lohse will pitch against Roberto Hernandez.
The Cardinals won… so Milwaukee’s lead in the National League Central is down to three games.
Milwaukee reliever Jim Henderson has been moved up from Single-A to Double-A, as he rehabs from shoulder inflammation.
Copper Country Twilight League
In Copper Country Twilight League baseball last night…
- At the Hancock Driving Park, Lee Naugle struck out 14, as Pat’s Foods blanked Mosquito Inn 2-0. Toivola managed only two hits off Naugle… who contributed two of his own.
- At the Wolverine Field, BlueSky Health outscored Wolverine-Orbit 5-3. Ray Wojtala went the distance to get the win. Kyle Storm homered for BlueSky.
Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball play tonight…
- At Miller memorial Field in Laurium, Post 90/Lakes Lounge takes on Pat’s Foods/ThermoAnalytics at 6:15. Nutini’s meets Auto Value at 7:30.
- At Hurontown, The Marley Bar plays Bucko’s/Labatts at 6:15… then faces The Goal Post at 7:30.
- At the Hancock Driving Park, North Pointe Trucking faces Erickson Crowley Peterson at 7:30.