The Detroit Tigers are off until Friday because of the All-Star break. They’ll begin a series in Kansas City Friday night. Pregame coverage will start at 7:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers will return to action Friday evening at home against the San Francisco Giants.
The annual Summer Classic will be played tonight in Cleveland. Shane Greene will be the Detroit Tigers’ only representative on the American League team. Christian Yelich of the Milwaukee Brewers will start for the National League, with Mike Moustakas, Yasmani Grandal, Josh Hader and Brandon Woodruff also on the team. Former Detroit Tiger and current Houston Astro Justin Verlander will start for the American League. Hyun-Jin Ryu of the Los Angeles Dodgers will open for the Nationals.
New York Mets rookie Pete Alonso won the Home Run Derby last night.
Fast Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Fast Pitch Softball play last evening…
– Coca Cola of Hancock and Superior National Bank split their doubleheader, with Coca Cola taking the opener 8-3, and SNB claiming the nightcap 2-0. Delaney Heinonen was the winning pitcher in the first game. Krista Keta had a double and a single for Coke. Rosalie Kangas tossed the shutout in the second game for SNB.
– Northern Michigan Land Brokers swept their doubleheader against Crush/Diamond House/Baby E’s 10-0 and 16-7. Carolyn Parker threw the shutout in the first game. Mel Baker and Anna Gaffney each had two hits. Gaffney homered and added two singles in the nightcap. Alana Nolan and Quinn Donnelly also each had two hits for NMLB, and Sarah Audette had a double and a single for Crush.
Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League play last night…
– A and S Industrial v Auto Pro/ThermoAnalytics – no report.
– Coca Cola/Monte Carlo defeated Pat’s Foods/Bucko’s 17-13.
– McGann’s/Northern Auto v Luigi’s, and v Bucko’s/Labatt’s – no report.
Twilight League Baseball
In Copper Country Twilight League baseball tonight…
– Garnet Garage meets REL-Mohawk Technology at the Hancock Driving Park.
– Dean Kangas-State Farm will take on Superior National Bank-Stanton at the Stanton Field.
The Detroit Pistons have signed point guard Jordan Bone to a two-way contract. Bone was selected with the 57th pick in the recent NBA Draft. Detroit acquired his rights from the Philadelphia 76ers in a draft night trade. He played college ball at the University of Tennessee.
On last evening’s Copper Country Horseshoe League schedule…
– L and L blanked Loading Zone 9-0.
– Drift Inn downed Ahmeek Fire Department 7-2.
– Dreamland One defeated Rocky’s Bar 6-3.
– Calumet One downed Harter’s Party Store 7-2.
– 41 Lumber edged Dreamland Two 5-4.
– Calumet Electronics defeated Bucko’s Party Store 7-2.
The Run the Keweenaw Trails Festival will be held in and around Copper Harbor this weekend. Events include the 6k Mount Baldy Summit Run, the 10K Challenge, and the 25K Carl Olson Memorial Adventure Run. There is also a non-competitive 10k Run/Walk, and a 2k run for kids. Online registration remains open through the week. For full details, click here.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.