Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In hockey last evening…
• Jeffers upended Calumet 2-1. Trevor Halonen scored for the Jets midway through the second period. Nathan Londo of the Kings tied the contest three minutes later. Cody Turner scored the game-winner in the third period.
The Copper Island Classic hockey games between Calumet and Hancock have been rescheduled to December 22nd at 7 pm, and December 23rd at 5 pm. Both games will be played at the Colosseum, and broadcast on KBear 102.3.
In high school girls basketball last night…
• Hancock got past West Iron County 41-35.
• Jeffers outscored Chassell 45-32. Raena Kangas led the Jets with 14 points. Mia Nordstrom and Sara Johnson each added 12. Trisha Pietila scored 12 for the Panthers.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City v Wakefield-Marenisco – postponed.
• Ontonagon v Ironwood – postponed.
The Houghton High School swim team v Westwood yesterday – no report.
The Finlandia women’s basketball team dropped a 78-74 decision at Northland College last night. After trailing by 10 in the third period, the Lions narrowed the gap to one point with two minutes remaining, but couldn’t complete the comeback. Natalie Bartle had 23 points and eight rebounds.
There’s been a change at the top of the Michigan Tech football program.
After six seasons, Athletic Director Suzanne Sanregret announced yesterday that Steve Olson’s contract as head coach would not be renewed. Offensive Coordinator Dan Mettlach has been named the new head coach, and will take over immediately.
Olsen led the Huskies to a 23-29 overall record, and a 15-23 mark in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. In a statement yesterday, Olsen said he regretted that the team did not win more games during his tenure, but expressed pride in the individual accomplishments of his players.
Mettlach was an outstanding quarterback for Tech from 2001 through 2004, after playing high school ball at Gwinn. He was named the Huskies’ offensive coordinator in 2017, and has also coached at Finlandia University, Macalester College, Hillsdale College and Northern Michigan University.
The Red Wings entertain the Sabres tonight. Coverage begins at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Pistons lost to the Knicks 140-110 last night. Isaiah Stewart scored 19 points for Detroit.
The Pistons entertain the Mavericks Thursday.
Former Tigers third baseman Jeimer Candelario has signed a free agent contract with the Nationals. Candelario had recently been released by Detroit, after hitting just .217 in the 2022 season.
Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers says x-rays of his injured ribs have revealed no serious damage, and he plans to play in Sunday’s game against the Bears.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Tomorrow – Calumet girls basketball hosts Iron Mountain. Coverage will begin around 7:00 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Friday – Houghton hockey hosts Traverse City Central. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Tuesday – Calumet hockey skates at Marquette. Coverage will begin at 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Tuesday – Houghton girls basketball entertains L’Anse. Coverage will begin around 7:00 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.