In high school softball yesterday...
– Calumet v Iron Mountain – no report.
In softball tournament action today…
– In the Division Three District at Ironwood, Hancock will face Gogebic at noon EDT. Jeffers will play Ironwood at 2:30 EDT. We’ll broadcast both of those games on KBear 102.3 and KBear 102.com, beginning at 11:40. We’ll also bring you the championship game at 5:30, if a local team is involved
All of the other local softball and baseball tournament districts will be played tomorrow.
– At the Division Four District at L’Anse, the Purple Hornets will play Gwinn at 10:00. Ishpeming meets Superior Central at noon, with the championship game at 2:30.
– At the Division Three Districts at Westwood, Negaunee will face Westwood at 10:00, and Calumet will play Houghton at noon. The championship game will begin at 2:00.
– At the Division Three Districts at Negaunee, Negaunee will play Superior Central at 10:00. Houghton faces Calumet at noon. We’ll broadcast that game on KBear 102.3, and the championship game at 2:00.
– At the Division Four Districts at Ironwood, L’Anse will play Gogebic at noon EDT; Jeffers will play Ironwood at 2:30 EDT, with the championship game at 5:30 EDT.
In golf yesterday…
– West Iron County won the Division Two boys championship at the George Young Golf Course in Iron River. Hancock finished third. Hancock’s Peyton Dube medaled at the girls championship with a 79 – 19 strokes better than the individual runner-up.
– Ontonagon swept the Division Three Boys and Girls U.P. Finals at Irish Oaks in Gladstone. All five girls golfers placed in the top-20, led by Whitney Rule with a fifth-place finish. Ed Polakowski finished second individually for the Gladiators boys team. Dollar Bay-Tamarack City finished second in the boys team competition.
The U.P. Track and Field championships will be held tomorrow at Kingsford.
The Finlandia University women’s soccer team has a new head coach. Grace Sokolow spent the past three years as the assistant coach for women’s soccer at Austin College in Texas. She played college soccer at Vassar.
The Lions have also introduced a new hockey player. Tyler Vanuden is from Fort Frances, Ontario. He played for the Victoria Cougars in the Vancouver Island Junior Hockey League last season.
The Detroit Tigers had yesterday off, and begin an interleague set against the Braves in Atlanta tonight. Spencer Turnbull will start against Mike Foltynewicz. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:55 on 99.3 The Lift.
Mike Moustakas hit two home runs, as the Milwaukee Brewers blasted the Pittsburgh Pirates 11-5 last night. Eric Thames and Yasmani Grandal also homered, as the Crew pounded out 18 hits. Chase Anderson gave up two runs over five innings, and earned the win.
That series continues in Pittsburgh tonight. Brandon Woodruff will pitch against Nick Kingham.
The Toronto Raptors opened the NBA championship series with a 118-109 victory over the Golden State Warriors last night. Game two will be played Sunday night in Toronto.
The Stanley Cup series continues tomorrow night, when the Saint Louis Blues entertain the Boston Bruins. That series is tied 1-1.
The Keweenaw Roller Girls will host the Traverse City Toxic Cherries tomorrow night at Dee Stadium. Doors open at 5:00, and competition begins at 6:00.
Email sports stories and game results to email@example.com.