In high school hockey last night…
• Hancock downed Jeffers 6-2.
In boys high school basketball last evening…
• Calumet lost 55-37 at Iron Mountain.
• Ewen-Trout Creek defeated Lake Linden-Hubbell 70-38. Jaden Borseth scored 29 for the Panthers.
In girls action last night…
• Ewen-Trout Creek downed Lake Linden-Hubbell 58-39.
The annual Wing Ding competition between Houghton and Hancock opens tonight with a basketball doubleheader at Houghton High School. The girls game will start at 5:45, with the boys contest to follow. Coverage of both games will begin at 5:25 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf. The Wing Ding hockey game will be played tomorrow, with coverage beginning at 6:40 on 97.7 The Wolf. Houghton has claimed the Wing Ding trophy the past four years.
In other girls games tonight…
• Lake Linden-Hubbell plays at Chassell.
• L’Anse tips off at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City.
In a girls-boys doubleheader…
• Ewen-Trout Creek entertains Ironwood.
In Alpine skiing today…
• Houghton competes at the Norway Invitational.
In high school swimming…
• Houghton travels to Ishpeming.
The Finlandia men’s basketball team lost 103-77 to Wisconsin-Superior last night. Danny Zuchak scored 17 for the Lions. Rae’quan Funches added 16 points, and B.J. Williams had 15.
Both Michigan Tech teams compete at Davenport University tonight.
Both Northern teams visit Grand Valley State.
The Detroit Red Wings smashed the Philadelphia Flyers 6-3 last night. Robby Fabbri, Lucas Raymond, Dylan Larkin and Pius Suter each had a goal and an assist. Givani Smith and Vladislav Namestnikov also found the net. Alex Nedeljkovic made 21 saves.
The Wings will host the Flyers Saturday afternoon. Coverage begins at 11:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons host the Memphis Grizzlies tonight. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Tigers have signed infielder Jack López to a minor league contract. López can play second base, third base and shortstop. After 10 seasons in the minor leagues, he appeared in a few games for the Red Sox last summer. He’s expected to begin the year at Toledo.
Representatives for Major League Baseball team owners and players say they’ll resume contract negotiations Saturday. The ongoing lockout will almost certainly delay the start of spring training.
The annual Barneløpet will take place Sunday, with Nordic ski races for children ages three through 17 at the Maasto Hiihto Trails. Registration begins at 1:00 in the chalet in Hancock. Races start at 2:00. The Barneløpet is sponsored by the Keweenaw Nordic Ski Club, the Sons of Norway and the City of Hancock. Thanks to the Portage Health Auxiliary, there is no entry fee. For more details and registration information, click here.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tonight – Wing Ding basketball doubleheader – Hancock girls and boys at Houghton – 5:25 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Tomorrow – Wing Ding hockey – Hancock at Houghton – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Saturday – hockey – Notre Dame de la Baie at Calumet – 3:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Monday – basketball – Calumet at Houghton girls – 7:00 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Tuesday – hockey – Calumet at Houghton – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.