Click on the blue highlights for additional details.
In girls basketball last night…
– Houghton outscored Calumet 58-44. Kara Pietila led the Gremlins with 19 points.
– Hancock fell to West Iron County 38-31.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell outscored Republic-Michigamme 56-28. Laura Lyons led the Lakes with 27 points.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City edged Watersmeet 48-45.
– Chassell downed Jeffers 57-28.
– Baraga surprised Ewen-Trout Creek 39-38 in overtime.
– L’Anse lost to Ishpeming 68-41.
In boys action tonight…
– Calumet plays at L’Anse.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell entertains Wakefield-Marenisco.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City hosts Baraga.
– Jeffers travels to Watersmeet.
– Chassell journeys to Ontonagon.
Both Hancock basketball teams entertain Bessemer tonight. The boys game was on the regular schedule. The girls game is a make-up of a recent snow-out. The girls will tipoff at 5:45, and the boys at 7:15.
The Ewen-Trout Creek boys and girls teams will both host Republic-Michigamme for make-up games this evening. The boys JV contest will start at 4:30, followed by the girls varsity at 6:00, and the boys varsity around 7:20. The boys game was rescheduled from January 19th, and the girls game from January 22nd.
In hockey last night, L’Anse fell to Negaunee 7-2.
On tonight’s schedule…
– Houghton skates at Calumet.
– Hancock welcomes Marquette. Our pregame coverage will start around 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Michigan Tech’s Devin Kero has been named Goalie of the Week by the Western Collegiate Hockey Association. Kero stopped 36 shots in the Huskies’ win over Bemidji State Saturday. Northern Michigan’s Philip Beaulieu was named the WCHA Defensive Player of the Week for the second time this season. The Wildcats climbed to 17th in the latest USA Today/College Hockey Magazine poll.
For the fifth time this season, MTU’s Kyle Monroe has been named the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference North Division Men’s Basketball Player of the Week. Monroe set a GLIAC record by scoring 50 points in the Huskies’ win over Saginaw Valley State.
The Detroit Pistons’ defense struggled again, as they lost 118-103 to the New Orleans Pelicans last night. Blake Griffin led Detroit with 22 points, and Andre Drummond snared 21 rebounds. The Pistons welcome the Atlanta Hawks tomorrow night. Tip-off is at 7:00 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Red Wings host the Anaheim Ducks tonight. Pregame coverage begins at 7:10 on 99.3 The Lift.
Pitchers and catchers report to the Detroit Tigers training camp in Lakeland, Florida today. Initial workouts are scheduled for tomorrow. Milwaukee Brewers pitchers and catchers report tomorrow, with workouts set to begin Thursday. Listen for Detroit Tigers games again this season on 99.3 The Lift.
Our Finlandia University athletics coverage continues Saturday, as the Lions men’s basketball team entertains Lakeland University. The pregame show will start at 12:40 on 99.3 The Lift, and 993TheLift.com.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.