Former Calumet High School standout Elli Djerf will join the Finlandia University women’s basketball team. Djerf is transferring in from Northern Michigan University. She averaged 20 points per game as a senior for the Copper Kings, and scored more than 1,000 points in her high school career. She will be eligible to play for the Lions immediately.
The Portage Lake Pioneers defeated the Calumet Wolverines 5-2 last night.
The NHL’s COVID-19 pause continues. If the league returns as anticipated, the Wings will visit the New York Rangers Monday. Because of NFL football on 99.3 The Lift, Wings coverage will start at 6:45 on KBear 102.3.
The Detroit Pistons fell 115-112 to the Miami Heat last evening. Trey Lyles led Detroit with 28 points. Saddiq Bey added 23. Cory Joseph’s three-point attempt in the closing seconds that would have tied the game bounced off the rim.
Detroit played without Cade Cunningham, Isaiah Stewart, Killian Hayes, Saben Lee and Rodney McGruder, who are all on the COVID list. Jerami Grant remains on the sideline as recovers from thumb surgery, and Kelly Olynyk is out with a sprained knee.
The Pistons visit the San Antonio Spurs Sunday.
• Randy Bullock’s 44-yard field goal with four seconds remaining lifted the Tennessee Titans to a 20-17 victory over the San Francisco 49ers last night.
• The Green Bay Packers host the Cleveland Browns in a 4:30 game.
• The Indianapolis Colts visit the Arizona Cardinals in an 8:15 contest.
Hear both games on 99.3 The Lift.
• The Detroit Lions visit the Atlanta Falcons for a 1:00 game. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
The Lions added receiver Trinity Benson to their COVID-19 list yesterday. He’s the 15th player in the past 18 days to test positive. Most of those have cleared protocol, and returned. Quarterback Jared Goff is among those still sidelined. Tim Boyle is expected to make his second start of the season for Detroit on Sunday.
Prince Fielder has been elected to the Milwaukee Brewers’ Walk of Fame. Fielder spent seven of his 12 major league seasons in Milwaukee, was a three-time all-star, and is the only Brewer ever to hit 30 or more home runs in five consecutive seasons. Ryan Braun and Jonathan Lucroy will be added to the Brewers’ Wall of Honor, and 1950’s star Wes Covington will be added to the Milwaukee Braves’ Wall of Honor.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Monday – High school hockey – MacInnes Holiday Classic – Houghton v North Fond du Lac in game one; Calumet v Hancock in game two – coverage at 5:10 on 97.7 The Wolf.
• Tuesday – High school hockey – MacInnes Holiday Classic – consolation match, followed by championship game – coverage at 5:10 on 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.