in high school volleyball last night…
• Baraga swept Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 3-0.
In volleyball tonight…
• Calumet travels to Gwinn.
• Houghton plays at Lake Linden-Hubbell.
• Hancock visits L’Anse.
• Chassell welcomes Wakefield-Marenisco.
In cross country today…
• Jeffers runners will be among those competing at the Ewen-Trout Creek Invitational.
See the full schedule for all our local high school teams here.
Chris Taylor’s two-run homer in the bottom of the ninth lifted the Los Angeles Dodgers to a 3-1 win over the Saint Louis Cardinals in the National League Wild Card play-in game last night.
The American League Divisional Series open today…
• The Chicago White Sox visit the Houston Astros this afternoon.
• The Tampa Bay Rays host the Boston Red Sox tonight.
The National League Divisional Series begin tomorrow.
The Detroit Red Wings lost 4-2 to the Columbus Blue Jackets in a preseason game last night. Dan Renouf and Riley Barber scored for the Wings. Alex Nedeljkovic took the loss in net, as Detroit surrendered three power play goals.
The Wings host the Pittsburgh Penguins in a preseason game tonight. Listen for regular-season Wings games on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons opened their preseason campaign with a 115-105 victory over the San Antonio Spurs last night. Jerami Grant led Detroit with 19 points.
The Pistons visit the Memphis Grizzlies Monday. Listen for selected Pistons regular-season broadcasts on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Tigers’ Triple-A affiliate, the Toledo Mud Hens, won their division this summer. Yesterday, the Tigers informed Toledo manager Tom Prince that he would not return next season. Officials say the change is part of an overall restructuring of Detroit’s player development system.
In tonight’s NFL contest, the Los Angeles Rams visit the Seattle Seahawks. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Please have your picks in The Wolf Pro Football Challenge turned in by noon today at one of our sponsors.
The Detroit Lions placed Pro Bowl center Frank Ragnow on injured reserve yesterday because of a turf toe injury. He’ll miss at least the next three games.
There are reports that the Green Bay Packers have reached an agreement with former Dallas Cowboys linebacker Jaylon Smith. Smith’s release by Dallas Tuesday was considered a surprise. He was named to the Pro Bowl in 2019.
The Jeffers 5k Walk/Run and 10k Run will take place Saturday. Registration will open at 7:30 at the high school. Shuttle buses will take participants to the start, which will take place at 9:00 at the South Range ball fields. The cost is $25.00 for the 10k, and $15.00 for the 5k. A group of four can register for the 5k for $50.00. Proceeds benefit the Jeffers athletic program. For more details, click here.
• Calumet football plays at Houghton Saturday afternoon. The home team station gets the broadcast, coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97-7 The Wolf.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell football visits Carney-Nadeau Saturday afternoon, with coverage at 1:40 on KBear 102.
• Finlandia football hosts Minnesota-Morris Saturday afternoon. Coverage begins at 12:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.