Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In volleyball last night…
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City fell to Ewen-Trout Creek 3-1
• Houghton welcomes Ishpeming.
• Hancock plays at Iron Mountain.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell visits Jeffers.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City travels to Watersmeet.
• Baraga journeys to Bessemer.
• L’Anse entertains West Iron County.
• Ontonagon visits Ironwood.
• Ewen-Trout Creek plays at Wakefield-Marenisco.
The Pistons opened their regular season with a 113-109 victory over the Magic last night. Bojan Bogdanovic scored 24 points for Detroit. Cade Cunningham added 18 points and 10 assists. Detroit’s two first-round draft picks also had good debuts – Jaden Ivey scored 19 points, and Jalen Duren had 14 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks.
The Pistons visit the Knicks tomorrow.
The Red Wings visit the Blackhawks tomorrow. Coverage will begin at 8:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
Detroit will apparently be without forward Jakub Vrana for some time. Vrana missed Monday’s game against the Kings for personal reasons. The league and the players union now confirm that he has has entered their player assistance program. No specific reason was given, but the program is designed to support players who are dealing with substance abuse and mental health issues.
The Astros defeated the Yankees 4-2 in game one of the American League Championship Series last evening. Justin Verlander struck out 11. Game two will be played in Houston tonight.
The Padres rallied to beat the Phillies 8-5 in the National League Championship Series. Josh Hader got the save. That set is tied 1-1, and continues tomorrow in Philadelphia.
In tonight’s game, the Saints visit the Cardinals. Kickoff is at 8:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
Please turn your picks in The Wolf Pro Football Challenge in by noon today at one of our sponsors.
Lions’ running back D’Andre Swift is hoping to return to the lineup Sunday, as Detroit plays at Dallas. He’s been out with shoulder and ankle injuries. Cowboys’ quarterback Dak Prescott has been cleared to play, following time off after thumb surgery.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Tomorrow – Calumet football plays at L’Anse. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Tomorrow – Houghton football entertains Gwinn. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Saturday – Finlandia football hosts Crown College. Coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
- Tuesday – Calumet volleyball plays at Hancock. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.