MLB: Porcello, Tigers Blank A’s
Rick Porcello threw his second straight complete-game shutout, as the Tigers blanked the Athletics 3-0 last night. Porcello needed just 95 pitches to shut down one of the best offenses in baseball. He gave up just four hits… walked none, and struck out none. Porcello has not allowed a run in his last 25 innings. The last Detroit pitcher to throw back-to-back shutouts was Jack Morris in 1986. The Tigers scored on a Torii Hunter rbi groundout in the fourth inning… and a two-run homer by J.D. Martinez in the sixth.
The Tigers wrap up that set against the Athletics this afternoon. Justin Verlander will face Jesse Chavez. Hear the first pitch at 1:08 on AM 1400, WCCY.
Kansas City lost… so Detroit now leads the American League Central by four-and-a-half games.
Brewers’ Bats Quiet in Loss to Toronto
The Brewers collected just four hits, and lost to the Blue Jays 4-1 yesterday. Marco Estrada took the hard-luck loss, giving up two runs over six innings.
The Brewers wrap up that quick interleague set at Toronto this afternoon. Wily Peralta will start against J.A. Happ.
Saint Louis and Cincinnati also lost… so the Brewers’ lead in the National League Central remains at six-and-a-half games over the Cardinals, and seven over the Reds.
Copper Country Twilight League
In Copper Country Twilight League baseball last night…
– The Stanton Wildcats defeated Pat’s Foods 5-2. Cole Jepsen allowed just four hits while going the distance to get the win. He struck out nine. Lee Naugle struck out 12 for Pat’s.
– Mosquito Inn outscored Wolverine-Orbit 12-5. Andy Buchanan had three hits, walked twice, drove in three runs, and scored four for Toivola. Justin Kirby earned the complete-game win.
Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League play tonight…
– At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Bucko’s/Labatts faces North Pointe Trucking at 6:15… and then meets Nutini’s at 7:30.
– At Hurontown, 906/Pilgrim River Steakhouse takes on Osmose at 7:30.
– At the Hancock Driving Park, The Goal Post plays Erickson Crowley Peterson at 6:15. Pat’s Foods/ThermoAnalytics takes on The Marley Bar at 7:30.
Wings Sign Porter, Extend Sheahan
The Red Wings have signed unrestricted free agent Kevin Porter to a one-year contract. Porter won the Hobey Baker Award at the University of Michigan in 2008. He split the past two seasons between the Buffalo Sabres and their AHL affiliate in Rochester. The Wings also signed center Riley Sheahan to a two-year contract extension. Sheahan split time between Detroit and Grand Rapids last season.
Pistons Ink Meeks, Martin
On the first day of the NBA free-agent signing window, the Pistons reportedly came to terms with former Lakers shooting guard Jodie Meeks and former Hawks swingman Cartier Martin. Reports say the Meeks deal is for three years at 19-million dollars. Martin’s contract is said to be guaranteed for one season. Both are excellent outside shooters… something Detroit needs to open up opportunities for their talented frontcourt players. Teams can’t confirm player signings until the free-agent period closes.