Little League League Baseball
The Portage Lake Little League Majors team advanced to the state tournament quarterfinals yesterday by defeating Grosse Pointe Farms 7-2. With two wins in pool play, Portage Lake is guaranteed a berth in the single-elimination portion of the tournament, which begins tomorrow. Portage Lake still has one pool game remaining, against Taylor North this morning at 10:00. Taylor North has won both of its games so far, and has also clinched a berth in the quarterfinals. Today’s contest will determine how the teams will be seeded. If you would like to support Portage Lake’s trip downstate, you can contribute through their GoFundMe page here.
Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League play this evening…
• At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Koppers faces Paul Hyrkas Construction at 6:30, then plays Bucko’s/Labatts at 7:30.
• At the Hancock Driving Park, Sayen’s Auto/Coca Cola takes on Pat’s Foods/Buckos at 6:30. Auto Pro/Thermoanalytics meets Downtowner Two at 7:30.
Fast Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Women’s Fast Pitch Softball League action at the Chassell field tonight…
• Superior Service faces Superior National Bank at 5:45.
• JB’s plays Tervo Agency at 7:15.
The NBA championship series continues tomorrow night in Milwaukee. The Bucks lead the Suns 3-2.
The NHL has released the lists of players who will be available, and those who will be protected, in Wednesday’s expansion draft. These Detroit Red Wings will be eligible to be taken by the new Seattle Kraken team:
• Forwards Riley Barber, Kyle Criscuolo, Turner Elson, Valtteri Filppula, Sam Gagner, Luke Glendening, Darren Helm, Taro Hirose, Vladislav Namestnikov, Frans Nielsen, Bobby Ryan, Evgeny Svechnikov, Dominic Turgeon and Hayden Verbeek.
• Defensemen Alex Biega, Dennis Cholowski, Danny DeKeyser, Christian Djoos, Joe Hicketts, Dylan McIlrath, Marc Staal, and Troy Stecher.
• Goaltenders Jonathan Bernier, Kevin Boyle, Kaden Fulcher, and Calvin Pickard.
Protected Red Wings include:
• Forwards Tyler Bertuzzi, Adam Erne, Robby Fabbri, Dylan Larkin, Michael Rasmussen, Givani Smith, and Jakub Vrana.
• Defensemen Filip Hronek, Nick Leddy, and Gustav Lindstrom.
• Goaltender Thomas Greiss.
Wily Peralta turned in seven strong innings, as the Detroit Tigers blanked the Minnesota Twins 7-0 yesterday. Peralta gave up just four hits. Buck Farmer and Alex Lange completed the shutout. Jonathan Schoop and Jeimer Candelario each homered and drove in three runs.
The Tigers host the Texas Rangers tonight. Casey Mize will start against Kyle Gibson. Coverage will begin at 6:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
Corbin Burnes pitched into the ninth, as the Milwaukee Brewers shut down the Cincinnati Reds 8-0 yesterday. Burnes struck out 12 and allowed five hits. Angel Perdomo came in with the bases loaded in the ninth, and struck out Eugenio Suarez and Tucker Barnhardt to end the game. Christian Yelich and Willy Adames homered.
Perdomo was called up from Nashville before yesterday’s game, after reliever Devin Williams was placed on the injured list with a sore right elbow.
The Brewers have today off, and entertain the Kansas City Royals tomorrow. That game has been moved up to an afternoon start time to avoid the Milwaukee Bucks’ NBA playoff contest. Eric Lauer will pitch against Mike Minor.
On the final day of the Miners Revenge mountain biking event at the Adventure Mine in Greenland yesterday…
• Mike Cortright of Boyne City won the men’s expert Enduro, five seconds faster than Zechariah McCarthy of Marquette.
• Amanda Kautzer of Rockford, Minnesota won the women’s expert Enduro.
• Travis Lompre of Houghton took the men’s sport Enduro title.
• Chiara Johnson of Ishpeming won the women’s sport Enduro.
See full results here.
In Copper Country Horseshoe League play tonight…
• In a battle between the league’s top two teams, Calumet One faces Dreamland One at the Dreamland Bar.
• Drift Inn meets Loading Zone at the Drift Inn.
• Rocky’s takes on Harter’s Party Store at Rocky’s Bar.
• 41 Lumber and Calumet Electronics meet at Ahmeek Park.
• L and L faces Dreamland Two at the Calumet Dam.
• Ahmeek Fire Department plays Bucko’s Party Store at Buckies.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.