Starling Marte’s two-run homer in the top of the 10th inning lifted the Pittsburgh Pirates to a 5-3 victory over the Detroit Tigers last night. Detroit had forced extra innings when Jeimer Candelario singled home pinch-runner Dustin Peterson to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth. Peterson had replaced Christin Stewart, who had opened the inning with his second double of the night. Starter Matthew Boyd gave up three runs over seven innings. Closer Shane Greene allowed his first runs of the season, and took the loss.
The Tigers host the Pirates again tonight. Spencer Turnbull will start against Trevor Williams. Because of Pistons basketball on 99.3 The Lift, coverage will begin at 6:15 on KBear 102.3.
Christian Yelich homered again, as the Milwaukee Brewers doubled up the Saint Louis Cardinals 8-4 last night. Yelich has hit nine round-trippers this season – eight against Saint Louis. Yasmani Grandal and Lorenzo Cain also homered. Brandon Woodruff got the win, pitching into the sixth, and giving up two runs.
The Brewers conclude that home series against the Cardinals this afternoon. Corbin Burnes will pitch against Michael Wacha.
Milwaukee has sent starting pitcher Freddy Peralta to the disabled list because of shoulder inflammation. The injury is not believed to be long-term. Jeremy Jeffress has been brought back from the injury list. The Brewers also called up right-hander Aaron Wilkerson from Triple-A San Antonio, and optioned reliever Jake Petricka to Class A Wisconsin, which keeps him within quick recall distance.
The Detroit Red Wings are coming to the Copper Country. The Wings will face the Saint Louis Blues in the Kraft Hockeyville NHL pre-season game on Thursday, September 26th. The contest will begin at 7:00, and will be televised on the NBC Sports Network.
In the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs last night…
– The Columbus Blue Jackets completed a stunning first-round sweep of the Tampa Bay Lightning with a 7-3 victory.
– The New York Islanders also advanced to the second round with a 3-1 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins.
– The Winnipeg Jets edged the Saint Louis Blues 2-1 in overtime. That series is tied at two wins per team.
– The Vegas Golden Knights blanked the San Jose Sharks 5-0. Vegas leads that set 3-1.
On today’s schedule…
– The Boston Bruins face the Maple Leafs in Toronto. The Leafs are up 2-1 in that series.
– The Nashville Predators visit the Dallas Stars. The Predators lead that series 2-1.
– The Colorado Avalanche host the Calgary Flames. The Avalanche hold a 2-1 advantage in that set.
In NBA opening-round playoff series last night…
– The Toronto Raptors breezed past the Orlando Magic 111-82 to tie that set at one win per team.
– The Denver Nuggets outscored the San Antonio Spurs 114-105. That series is tied 1-1.
– The Portland Trail Blazers defeated the Oklahoma City Thunder 114-94. That set is also tied 1-1.
On the schedule tonight…
– The Indiana Pacers play the Celtics in Boston. Boston holds a 1-0 lead in that series.
– The Utah Jazz visit the Houston Rockets. Houston has a 1-0 advantage in that set.
– The Detroit Pistons visit the Milwaukee Bucks. Milwaukee holds a 1-0 lead in that series. Pregame coverage begins at 7:35 on 99.3 The Lift. Blake Griffin’s availability for tonight’s game remains questionable. He’s battling a knee injury.
The Finlandia University softball team has been seeded second in the American Collegiate Athletic Association tournament. The Lions will open against third-seeded Alfred State College on May 4th. The double-elimination tournament will be held in Alfred, New York.
Michigan Tech has signed a new basketball recruit. Isaiah Bridges is a forward who scored 20 points per game this past season at Midland High School.
Email sports stories and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.