The American League held off the National League to win the Major League Baseball All-Star Game 4-3 last night. Shane Bieber of the Cleveland Indians was named the Most Valuable Player after striking out all three batters he faced in the fifth inning.
Shane Greene of the Detroit Tigers pitched a scoreless sixth inning for the American League. Milwaukee pitcher Brandon Woodruff gave up a run in two-thirds of an inning. Brewers Christian Yelich, Mike Moustakas and Yasmani Grandal went hitless.
The Tigers return to action against the Royals in Kansas City Friday night. Pregame coverage will start at 7:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Brewers will resume their season Friday evening at home against the San Francisco Giants.
Twilight League Baseball
In Copper Country Twilight League baseball last night…
– REL-Mohawk Technology defeated Garnet Garage 14-4.
– Dean Kangas-State Farm and Superior National Bank-Stanton played 12 innings, until darkness forced suspension of the game with the score tied 6-6. The game will be completed the next time the two teams meet.
Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League play tonight…
– At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Bucko’s/Labatt’s faces Auto Pro/ThermoAnalytics at 6:15, and then plays Luigi’s at 7:30.
– At Hurontown, Lake Superior Design takes on Pat’s Foods/Bucko’s at 6:15. Harter’s Carquest meets Coca Cola/Monte Carlo at 7:30.
– At the Hancock Driving Park, Koppers plays Downtowner Two at 6:15, and then faces A and S Industrial at 7:30.
Former Detroit Lions safety Glover Quinn has announced his retirement. Quinn played 10 NFL seasons, the final six with the Lions. He made the Pro Bowl in 2014. Quinn was released by the team this spring.
The Miner’s Revenge Bike Festival takes place Saturday and Sunday in Greenland. The weekend features a series of cross country races, which cover rugged outdoor trails, and an underground section of the historic Adventure Mine. For the schedule, full details and registration information, click here.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.