Fast Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Fast Pitch Softball League play last night…
• Tervo Agency mercied Northern Michigan Land Brokers 16-3. Mel Baker was the winning pitcher. Tervo took control early with six runs in the bottom of the first inning.
• JB’s mercied Superior National Bank 13-2. Grace Brunet earned the win, with relief from Sadie Biekkola. Cori Jahfetson blasted two over-the-fence home runs.
• REL outscored Superior Service 6-2. Vera Peterson and Delaney Heinonen combined for the win. Ashley Lehto had two singles for REL, and Milly Loukus had a triple for Superior Service.
The Fast Pitch Softball League tournament begins with two games tonight at the Bone Yard…
• Superior National Bank will face Tervo Agency at 5:30.
• REL will play Northern Michigan Land Brokers at 7:15.
The third play-in game will take place tomorrow, as Crush plays Superior Service at 7.
The winners of those games will advance to the semifinals Saturday, along with regular-season champion JB’s, which has a bye in the opening round. The championship game will be played Saturday afternoon at 2, and will be broadcast on KBear 102.3.
Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League action last evening…
• Bucko’s/Labatts fell to A and S Industrial/Loukus Tech 9-6, and then lost to Amy J’s 19-12.
• Auto Pro/Thermoanalytics defeated Sayen’s Auto/Coca Cola 17-13, and then routed Downtowner Two 28-8.
Twilight Baseball League
In Copper Country Twilight Baseball League play tonight…
• Craig Heinonen Coldwell Banker faces REL-Mohawk Technology at the Hancock Driving Park.
• Garnet Garage takes on Houghton Building Supply-Stanton at the Stanton Field.
Victor Reyes’ two-run double in the bottom of the ninth inning gave the Tigers a 4-3 win over the Padres yesterday. Tarik Skubal gave up two runs over six innings, and left with the score tied. San Diego took the lead with a run off Joe Jiménez in the seventh. Jeimer Candelario led off the ninth with a double. Eric Haase grounded out. Robbie Grossman struck out. Jonathan Schoop beat out an infield single to set up Reyes’ walkoff line drive to centerfield.
The Tigers visit the Blue Jays tonight. Tyler Alexander will start against Yusei Kikuchi. Coverage begins at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
Andrew Chafin will not make the trip to Canada, because he’s not vaccinated against COVID-19. Bryan Garcia will replace him on the roster, and could start tomorrow’s contest.
There’ll be no late-season comeback for Detroit pitcher Spencer Turnbull. Team officials say is rehab from last summer’s Tommy John ligament replacement surgery is on track, but they aren’t going to push him for a few fall starts.
The Brewers bombed the Twins 10-4 yesterday. Corbin Burnes gave up three runs over six frames, and struck out 11. Rowdy Tellez blasted two homers and drove in six runs. Luis Urías hit one out.
The Brewers have today off, and visit the Red Sox tomorrow. Brandon Woodruff will start against Brayan Bello.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.