In high school baseball today, weather permitting…
– Calumet plays at L’Anse.
– The Lake Linden-Hubbell at Jeffers game has been postponed to May 20th.
– Calumet plays at Iron Mountain
– Hancock travels to Ishpeming
– The L’Anse game at Houghton has been canceled.
In golf, today’s Houghton Invitational has been canceled because of the weather.
The Finlandia University men’s basketball team has signed another recruit. Alex Richwine played for DeTour High School, where he averaged nearly 20 points and 12 rebounds per game last season.
Ronny Rodriguez drove in four runs, as the Detroit Tigers pounded the Los Angeles Angels 10-3 last night. Rodriguez had a single, a double and a triple. JaCoby Jones contributed a late home run. Matthew Boyd earned the win, giving up a run on three hits over six innings.
Weather permitting – and the forecast in Detroit is not promising – the Tigers host the Angels again this afternoon. Detroit is expected to call Ryan Carpenter up from Toledo to make the start. Pregame coverage will begin at 12:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers won their sixth straight game last night, defeating the Washington Nationals 7-3. Christian Yelich homered, as the Crew scored four runs in the first inning. Brandon Woodruff gave up a run on four hits over six innings, and struck out nine.
The Brewers have today off, and begin a series against the Cubs in Chicago tomorrow afternoon.
In the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs last night, the San Jose Sharks advanced with a 3-2 victory over the Colorado Avalanche. The Sharks won that series 4-3. They’ll face the Saint Louis Blues in the Western Conference final beginning Saturday.
Tonight, the Eastern Conference final begins, as the Carolina Hurricanes visit the Boston Bruins.
In NBA playoff action last evening…
– The Milwaukee Bucks moved ahead to the Eastern Conference finals with a 116-91 win over the Boston Celtics. Milwaukee took that series 4-1.
– The Golden State Warrior got past the Houston Rockets 104-99. Golden State leads that set 3-2.
– The Toronto Raptors visit the Philadelphia 76ers. Toronto leads that series 3-2.
– The Portland Trail Blazers entertain the Denver Nuggets. Denver leads that set 3-2.
Former Detroit Lions defensive end Ezekiel Ansah is expected to sign a one-year contract with the Seattle Seahawks today. Ansah was Detroit’s first-round draft pick six years ago, but his past several seasons were hampered by injuries.
Email sports stories and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.