Click on the blue links for more details.
The Detroit Tigers fought back from behind, but lost to the Tampa Bay Rays 10-9 in 10 innings last night. The Rays scored five times off Francisco Liriano in the first inning, and chased him from the game while adding two more in the third. The Tigers got three back in the third inning, with help from a two-run double by Niko Goodrum. Goodrum and José Iglesias each hit RBI doubles as Detroit scored four times to tie the game in the top of seventh. Tampa retook the lead with two runs off Louis Coleman in the bottom of the seventh. The Tigers tied it again in the top of the eighth. Daniel Robertson’s single off Blaine Hardy drove home the game-winner in the 10th inning.
The Tigers continue that series at Tampa Bay tonight. Matthew Boyd will pitch against Ryne Stanek. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers fell to the Miami Marlins 4-3 in 10 innings last evening. The Crew led 2-1 until All-Star Josh Hader gave up home runs on consecutive pitches in the seventh. Travis Shaw’s RBI single in the eighth tied the game. Bryan Holaday singled home the winning run for the Marlins off Cory Knebel in the bottom of the 10th.
The Brewers continue that set at Miami tonight. Jhoulys Chacín will start against Pablo Lopez.
Fast Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Fast Pitch Softball League play last night…
– At the Bone Yard in Lake Linden, Superior National Bank defeated Mattila Rock and Dock 14-3. Adena and Rosalie Anderson combined to strike out eight. Rosalie also had two doubles and two singles. Andrea L’Esperance had two singles and a double and Molly Berg and Ciara Larson each had a triple and a single. For Mattila, Grace Laitila had a double and a single and Katie Mattila had two singles. SNB then downed Auto Pro Glass and Tire 4-1. Rosalie Anderson struck out 14, and had a double.
– Loading Zone II/Calumet Golf Club forfeited their game against Northern Michigan Land Brokers because of a lack of players.
In Copper Country Twilight Baseball League action tonight…
– Superior National Bank-Stanton faces REL-Mohawk Technologies at the Hancock Driving Park.
– Dean Kangas-State Farm meets Wolverine-Orbit at the Wolverine field.
Both games begin at 6:30.
Basketball coach Rae Drake is returning to Michigan Tech. The news was released yesterday by Bay College, as they announced Drake’s resignation as their women’s basketball coach. He’ll join Kevin Luke’s staff as an assistant. Drake spent six seasons with the Huskies’ men’s and women’s teams before joining the staff at Northern Michigan University in 2012. He became Bay College’s first women’s head coach last summer. Before his college career, Drake was a successful high school coach at West Iron County.
In Copper Country Horseshoe League play last night…
– Harter’s Party Store downed Dreamland Two 7-2.
– Dreamland One defeated Drift Inn 8-1.
– L and L dispatched Harter’s Carquest 8-1.
– Ahmeek Fire Department edged Calumet Electronics 5-4.
– Calumet One blanked Loading Zone II 9-0.
Run the Keweenaw
The annual Run the Keweenaw Trail Running Festival will be held this weekend in and around Copper Harbor. Events include the Mt. Baldy Summit Run, the 10K Copper Harbor Trails Challenge, the 10K Copper Harbor Trails Non-Competitive Run/Hike, the 2K Junior Trail Run and the 25K Carl Olson Memorial Adventure run. For full details and online registration, click here.
Email sports stories and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.