Fast Pitch Softball
On the opening night of play in the Copper Country Women’s Fast Pitch Softball League last night, Superior National Bank and Northern Michigan Land Brokers split their doubleheader. SNB took the first game 11-5. Rosalie Anderson was the winning pitcher, and Jonna Berg had four hits. Ally Ronis had a single, a double and a triple for NMLB. Northern Michigan Land Brokers scored eight runs in the first inning of the nightcap, and went on to a 16-5 victory. Isabelle Cleary was the winning pitcher. Anna Gaffney hit an over the fence home run and a double.
Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball play last evening…
– Harter’s Carquest scored 10 runs in the third inning, and went on to defeat Coca Cola/Monte Carlo 25-7. Alex Loukus and Jake Loukus each had four hits, including a home run. Harter’s then dropped a 21-20 slugfest to Auto Pro/ThermoAnalytics. Auto Pro overcame an early 15-0 deficit, with the help of six hits by Logan Rastello. Alex Loukus hit two home runs for Harter’s.
– Luigi’s v Downtowner Two – not reported.
– McGann’s/Northern Auto swept its doubleheader, defeating A and S Industrial 20-17, and Pat’s Foods/Bucko’s 27-8.
Twilight League Baseball
In Copper Country Twilight League Baseball tonight…
– Garnet Garage Takes on REL-Mohawk Technology at the Hancock Driving Park
– Dean Kangas-State Farm faces Superior National Bank-Stanton at the Stanton Field.
The Detroit Tigers had yesterday off, and open a series in Kansas City against the Royals tonight. Spencer Turnbull will start against Jakob Junis. Pregame coverage will begin at 7:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers were also off yesterday, and start a series in Houston against the Astros tonight. Freddy Peralta will pitch against Brad Peacock.
The Stanley Cup will be decided tomorrow night, as the Boston Bruins host the Saint Louis Blues in game seven of the NHL championship series. Faceoff is at 8:00 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Golden State Warriors staved off elimination in the NBA Championship Series last night, with a 106-105 victory over the Toronto Raptors. The win came despite the loss of Kevin Durant in the second quarter. He left the arena on crutches with what is believed to be an Achilles tendon injury. Toronto leads the series 3-2, with game six scheduled for Thursday night in Oakland.
The Detroit Lions have released former Michigan State University quarterback Connor Cook. Cook was let go after the team signed quarterback David Fales. Fales is a five-year veteran who most recently played for the Miami Dolphins.
In Copper Country Horseshoe League competition last night…
– Dreamland Two defeated Loading Zone 8-1.
– Calumet One blanked Calumet Electronics 9-0.
– L and L stopped 41 Lumber 8-1.
– Dreamland One shut out Drift Inn 9-0.
– Rocky’s Bar downed Ahmeek Fire Department 6-3.
– Harter’s Party Store defeated Bucko’s Party Store 8-1.
Email sports news and results to firstname.lastname@example.org.