The Detroit Tigers had yesterday off, and host the Philadelphia Phillies in a quick interleague set beginning tonight. Matthew Boyd will pitch against Aaron Nola. Pregame coverage will start at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Tigers have signed veteran starting pitcher Edwin Jackson to a minor-league deal. Jackson pitched for Detroit a decade ago – a one-year stop in a career that has seen him pitch for a record 14 major league teams. He had some success last year with the Oakland Athletics, but was recently released by the Toronto Blue Jays.
Eugenio Suarez’s two-run homer in the top of the ninth inning lifted the Cincinnati Reds to a 6-5 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers last night. Suarez’s second homer of the night came off Jeremy Jeffress. Tyler Saladino hit a grand slam for the Crew – his second slam in two games.
The Brewers host the Reds again tonight. Zach Davies will start against Tanner Roark.
Fast Pitch Softball
The Copper Country Fast Pitch Softball League concluded its 50th regular season last night, as Superior National Bank swept Crush/Diamond House/Baby E’s 18-8 and 19-8. In the first game, Kim Aho had four hits for SNB. Janie Berg had three hits, and Celia Peterson hit a home run. Sarah Audette and MaKenzie LaPage each had three hits for Crush. In the nightcap, Aho had three more hits, and Peterson and Berg each had two. Audette had two more hits for Crush.
The Fast Pitch League tournament will be held Saturday. SNB will play Crush at 10:00. Coca Cola of Hancock will play Northern Michigan Land Brokers at noon. The winners will then face off in the championship contest. Our broadcast coverage of all three games will begin at 9:45 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League play last evening…
– Harter’s Carquest downed Luigi’s 21-14. Joe Rivest had four hits for Harter’s, and James Loukus and Jason Wilks homered.
– Harter’s Carquest v Pat’s Foods/Bucko’s – no report.
– Bucko’s/Labatt’s v Downtowner Two – no report.
– Coca Cola/Monte Carlo shut down McGann’s/Northern Auto 24-6, and then defeated Auto Pro/ThermoAnalytics 22-15. Jim Perron had five hits in the nightcap, and Sean and Randy Perron each had four.
Twilight League Baseball
In Copper Country Twilight League baseball tonight…
– REL-Mohawk Technology takes on Dean Kangas-State Farm at the Hancock Driving Park.
– Garnet Garage meets Superior National Bank-Stanton at the Stanton Field.
In Copper Country Horseshoe League play last night…
– Calumet One swept 41 Lumber 9-0.
– Harter’s Party Store shut down Dreamland Two 8-1.
– Rocky’s Bar got past Drift Inn 6-3.
– L and L blanked Calumet Electronics 9-0.
– Dreamland One defeated Ahmeek Fire Department 6-3.
– Bucko’s Party Store edged Loading Zone 5-4.
Would you like to learn to play pickleball? Pickleball is sort of a combination of tennis and badminton. The Copper Country Pickleball Association will be conducting a free clinic tonight at 6:00 at the Laurn Grove Park tennis court for anyone interested in learning how to play. There is no charge. Paddles and balls will be provided – just bring court shoes.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.