Alex Studebaker and Andrea Kariniemi have received the two top athletic honors presented each year by Calumet High School.
Kariniemi claimed the Holly Jean McCullah Award by earning six varsity letters – two each in volleyball and softball, and one each in basketball and track. She was named an academic volleyball all-stater as a senior, and graduated with a GPA of 3.992. She plans to study nursing at Gogebic Community College.
Kariniemi’s volleyball honors include:
- Academic All-State (2019)
- All-Conference 2nd Team (2018)
- All-Region (2018)
Studebaker earned the George Gipp All-American Award by collecting nine varsity letters – three in football, four in hockey, and two in track. He was awarded multiple conference, regional and statewide honors in all three sports. Studebaker will play football at Michigan Tech this fall, and plans to study wildlife management and ecology.
Studebaker’s awards include:
- All-Conference 1st Team (2018)
- All-UP Dream Team – Defensive Tackle (2018)
- All-Conference 1st Team – Offense (2019)
- All-Conference 1st Team – Defense (2019)
- WestPAC Lineman of the Year (2019)
- WestPAC Defensive Player of the Year (2019)
- All-UP Defensive Player of the Year (2019)
- MHSFCA Honorable Mention (2019)
- Assoc. Press All-State 2nd Team – Div. 5/6 Lineman (2019)
- Det. Free Press All-State Div. 6 1st Team (2019)
- Detroit News Div. 5/6 All-State Honorable Mention (2019)
- All-Conference Honorable Mention (2019)
- All-State Honorable Mention (2019)
- All-Conference 2nd Team (2020)
- All-State 1st Team (2020)
- All-State Shot Put (2019)
The executive board of the National Hockey League Players Association is in the process of voting on a proposed playoff format that would conclude the 2019-2020 season.
Multiple media reports say the decision on the proposal could be reached by the end of today. If approved, the top four teams in each conference would make the playoffs, and would face each other in a series of preliminary games to determine seeding. The remaining clubs would compete in best-of-five play-in series that would fill out the bracket of 16 teams that would then begin the Stanley Cup playoffs. The playoffs would follow the usual format of four rounds of best-of-seven series.
If the format is approved, the owners and players would still need to negotiate specifics, including COVID-19 protections, and a date would need to be set for the season to resume.
Email sports news to email@example.com.