The high school football season is underway. Last night…
• Ben Tampas scored four touchdowns, as Lake Linden-Hubbell shut down the Gogebic Miners 42-8. The Lakes struck early, as Tampas scored on a three-yard run to cap their first possession of the season. James Milkey returned an interception for a touchdown later in the first quarter. Late in the second quarter, Tampas scored on a nine-yard run, and Marcus Sutherland caught a long TD pass from Danny Marcotte. The Lakes led 28-0 at halftime. Tampas added his third touchdown of the night with a one-yard plunge on the Lakes’ opening possession of the second half, and closed out Lake Linden’s scoring with a 41-yard run moments later. Gogebic’s only touchdown came in the closing minutes, on a 31-yard dash by Jack Matrella.
• Calumet begins its season at home against Gladstone. Coverage begins at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Houghton starts on the road at Westwood. Coverage begins at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Hancock welcomes L’Anse.
• Ontonagon travels to Rapid River.
In volleyball today…
• Calumet travels to the Cadillac Invitational.
In cross country…
• Houghton competes at the Marquette Early Bird Invitational today.
See the full high school schedule at KBear102.com.
The Michigan Tech soccer team has been picked to finish fourth in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference this fall. The preseason coaches’ poll projects that Grand Valley will finish first, with Ferris State second, and Northern Michigan third.
The Detroit Tigers had yesterday off, and host the Blue Jays tonight. Matt Manning will start against Steven Matz. Coverage will begin at 6:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
Eric Haase will return from the injured list for tonight’s game. To make room, catcher Grayson Greiner has been sent down to Toledo.
The Milwaukee Brewers fell to the Cincinnati Reds 5-1 yesterday. Brett Anderson took the loss, giving up three runs over four innings. Luis Urías homered.
The Brewers open an interleague series at Minnesota tonight. Eric Lauer will pitch against Andrew Albers.
The Detroit Lions wrap up their exhibition schedule tonight at home against the Indianapolis Colts. Both teams say few of their starters will play. Listen for Lions regular-season games again this year on 99.3 The Lift.
The Green Bay Packers conclude their pre-season campaign tomorrow afternoon at Buffalo.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.