Click on the highlights scores for more game details.
In high school hockey last night…
• Houghton dispatched Bay Port 5-2. Mike Maillette gave the Gremlins an early lead. The Pirates surged ahead with two goals early in the second period, but tallies by Landon Stevens and Gab Carlson reestablished the advantage. Late empty-netters by Stevens and Connor Raffaelli sealed the win. Raffaelli also had three assists, as Houghton improved to 20-0 on the season. Bryant Lee made 29 saves.
• Hancock outskated De Pere 4-1. Brady Galleto scored twice for the Bulldogs, and Zach Geborkoff and Ian Nordstrom each found the net once. Saku Cunard made 14 saves.
• Calumet entertains De Pere. Coverage begins at 3:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Hancock hosts Bay Port for a 1:00 game.
In boys basketball last evening…
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City outscored Bessemer 54-41.
• Ewen-Trout Creek lost at Stephenson 58-43.
• Baraga fell at Ironwood 64-37.
In girls action last evening…
• The Calumet game against Escanaba was canceled.
• Baraga defeated Ironwood 62-47.
The Finlandia men’s basketball team lost 82-71 at Wisconsin-Superior last night. Emmett Johnson led the Lions with 14 points. Finlandia plays at Wisconsin-Stout today.
The Finlandia women’s team fell at Wisconsin-Oshkosh 83-49 last evening. Natalie Bartle scored 13 points. The Lions play at Beloit today.
Both Michigan Tech teams play at Lake Superior State today.
Both Northern Michigan teams visit Ferris State.
The 13th-ranked Michigan Tech hockey team blanked Northern Michigan 3-0 last night, in front of a packed house at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena. Blake Pietila recorded his seventh shutout of the season, and the 17th of his career. Goals from Tyrone Bronte and Logan Pietila established the Huskies’ lead, and a Kyle Kukkonen empty-netter closed out the win. Those teams play again tonight in Marquette.
The Finlandia women’s team lost at Lawrence University 4-1 yesterday. Libby Plath scored the Lions’ only goal. Those teams meet again today in Appleton.
The Finlandia men’s team dropped a 4-2 decision at the Milwaukee School of Engineering last night. P.J. Donnelly and Max Messier scored for the Lions. Those teams skate in Milwaukee again today.
The Calumet Wolverines overcame an early deficit, but lost 6-5 on a last-minute goal to the Fond du Lac Bears last night.
The Portage Lake Pioneers host the Bears tonight at 7:30 at Dee Stadium.
The Red Wings lost 2-0 to the Islanders last evening. Magnus Hellberg made 27 saves.
The Wings are off for the all-star break, and will return to action February 7th, with a home game against the Oilers.
The Pistons host the Rockets tonight. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
The NFL Conference championship games will be played tomorrow…
• The Eagles host the 49ers for the NFC crown at 3:00.
• The Chiefs welcome the Bengals for the AFC title at 6:30.
Hear both games on 99.3 The Lift.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Today- Calumet hockey welcomes De Pere. Coverage begins at 3:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Monday – Calumet girls basketball entertains Hancock. Coverage will begin around 7:00 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Tuesday – Calumet hockey plays at Hancock. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Friday – Houghton girls basketball welcomes Escanaba. Coverage will begin around 7:00 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.