Click on the highlights scores for more game details.
At the Trenton Hockey Showcase Saturday…
• Calumet lost to Trenton 3-2.
• Houghton defeated Lake Forest Academy 3-2 in a shootout.
In other hockey games…
• Jeffers blanked Merrill 4-0.
• Hancock defeated Escanaba 5-3.
The Michigan Tech hockey team completed a weekend sweep at Bemidji State with a 3-2 victory Saturday night. The Huskies built a 3-0 lead with goals from Logan Pietila, Parker Saretsky and Marcus Pederson, then held off a late challenge by the Beavers. Blake Pietila finished with 37 saves.
Northern Michigan downed Lake Superior State 3-1. The Wildcats claimed the Cappo Cup by winning the season series against the Lakers three games to one.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team dropped a 4-3 overtime decision to Marian University Saturday. Matteo Ybarra scored twice for the Lions, and Brendan Erickson’s late tally forced the extra period.
The Finlandia women’s team has the weekend off.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams defeated Saginaw Valley State Saturday…
• The women cruised to a 69-49 victory. Isabella Lenz scored 22 for the Huskies.
• The men outscored the Cardinals 75-67. Nate Abel led the Huskies with 15 points.
The Northern Michigan teams split their games against Wayne State, with the women falling 69-64, and the men taking a 63-58 victory.
Both Finlandia basketball teams have the weekend off.
The Portage Lake Pioneers dumped the Fox Cities Ice Dogs 12-3 Saturday.
The Wings return from the all-star break Tuesday, with a home game against the Oilers. Coverage will begin at 7:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Wings have placed forward Adam Erne on waivers. If no other team claims him, he can be assigned to the Grand Rapids Griffins. It’s part of the roster juggling taking place in advance of Filip Zadina’s expected return, after missing three months with a broken leg. Zadina has been on a conditioning assignment in Grand Rapids.
The Pistons lost to the Suns 116-100 last night. Saddiq Bey scored 25 points, and Bojan Bogdanovic added 23.
The Pistons host the Celtics tomorrow. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Tuesday – Calumet boys basketball hosts L’Anse. Coverage will begin around 7:00 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Thursday – Calumet hockey hosts Marquette. Coverage will begin at 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Thursday – Both Houghton basketball teams play at Hancock in the annual Wing Ding competition. Coverage will begin around 5:25, with the boys game first, and the girls following, on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org