In hockey Saturday…
• Brother Rice scored in the closing seconds to take a 3-2 victory over Houghton. Gaborik Carlson and Camden Markham scored for the Gremlins. Bryant Lee made 22 saves.
• Calumet edged Detroit-Jesuit 2-1 to retain the Miner’s Helmet. Braydon Cima and Ayden Williams found the net for the Copper Kings, and Aksel Loukus stopped 34 shots.
• Jeffers wrapped up the Merrill Tournament in Wisconsin with an 8-1 victory over the host team.
In high school swimming Saturday…
• Houghton at the Marquette Splash-n-Dash – no report.
The Copper Country Christian School girls basketball team defeated the Delta County Knights Saturday, 26-12 and 30-22. Nora Holmes scored 10 in the opener, and 22 in the second contest. The Warriors’ boys team also won both of their games, 72-43 and 56-46. Luke Groeschl had a career-high 16 points and Caleb Bach added 13 in the early game. Bach and Riley Anderson each scored 13 apiece in the late game, and Groeschl chipped in 12.
The Michigan Tech hockey team completed a weekend sweep at Lake Superior State with a 3-0 victory Saturday night. Logan Pietila, Eric Gotz and Alec Broetzman each scored power play goals. Blake Pietila made 12 saves to earn his second straight shutout.
The Northern Michigan hockey team lost 4-1 to top-ranked Minnesota State Saturday, settling for a split in their weekend series.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey team was shut out 10-0 by top-ranked Adrian College Saturday. Marcus Gloss made 44 saves, as the Lions were outshot 54-7.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team’s games at Trine University were postponed.
The Michigan Tech men’s basketball team dropped a 66-49 decision at Saginaw Valley State Saturday. Trent Bell paced the Huskies with 21 points and 10 rebounds.
The women’s contest was postponed because of COVID-19 issues with the Cardinals.
Both Finlandia basketball teams had the weekend off.
The Portage Lake Pioneers lost 9-5 at Mosinee Saturday night.
The Detroit Red Wings snapped their four-game losing streak with a 4-0 win over the Buffalo Sabres Saturday. Tyler Bertuzzi and Robby Fabbri scored in the first period. Lucas Raymond and Michael Rasmussen added some insurance in the third period. Alex Nedeljkovic stopped 22 shots to earn his first shutout in a Wings uniform.
The Wings will complete their home-and-home series against the Sabres Monday afternoon in Buffalo. Coverage will begin at 12:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons host the Phoenix Suns this afternoon.
In the NFL playoffs Saturday…
• The Cincinnati Bengals ousted the Las Vegas Raiders 26-19. It’s the first playoff win for the Bengals since 1991.
• The Buffalo Bills annihilated the New England Patriots 47-17. The Bills scored touchdowns on their first seven possessions, with Josh Allen passing for five of them.
• Today, the Philadelphia Eagles visit the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at 1:00. The Dallas Cowboys entertain the San Francisco 49ers at 4:30. The Kansas City Chiefs welcome the Pittsburgh Steelers at 8:15.
• Monday, the Arizona Cardinals visit the Los Angeles Rams.
Hear all of the NFL playoff games, including the Super Bowl, on 99.3 The Lift.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tuesday – hockey – Calumet at Jeffers – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tuesday – girls basketball – Houghton at Calumet – 7:00 pregame on 97.7 The Wolf.
• Thursday – boys basketball – Calumet at Hancock – 7:00 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Friday – hockey – Grandville at Houghton – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Saturday – hockey – Calumet at Escanaba – 2:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.