Click on the highlighted scores for additional game details.
In high school football playoff games involving Upper Peninsula teams Saturday…
• In Division Six, Negaunee blanked Menominee 44-0. Gladstone eliminated Manistee 36-14.
• In Division Five, Kingsford fell to Gladwin 59-25.
In 11-player regional games next weekend…
• In Division Eight, Iron Mountain will host Evart.
• In Division Six, Negaunee will play at Gladstone.
In Eight-player state semifinals…
• In Division One, Munising will host Merrill.
• In Division Two, North Central plays at Marion.
Ethan Champney caught three touchdown passes as the Michigan Tech football team shaded Hillsdale College 28-24 Saturday. Will Ark threw for 314 yards. Sam Ahern intercepted a Chargers’ pass in the endzone in the closing seconds to seal the win.
Northern Michigan’s late comeback fell short in a 30-21 loss to Saginaw Valley State.
Finlandia concluded a winless season with a 45-7 loss at Greenville University in Illinois. Montez Archer returned a punt 85 yards for the Lions’ only score. The Panthers rolled up 485 yards of total offense, and held Finlandia to just 39.
The MTU hockey team suffered an ugly 6-1 loss at Bowling Green Saturday night. Trevor Russell scored the Huskies’ only goal. Blake Pietila allowed four goals, before giving way to Max Vayrynen.
NMU came from behind to defeat Lake Superior State 5-3.
The Finlandia women’s team lost 6-0 to Concordia-Moorhead Saturday. The Lions were outshot 53-10.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team wrapped up its regular season with a 3-0 (25-12, 25-20, 25-12) sweep of Purdue Northwest Saturday. The Huskies are seeded fifth in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference tournament, and will play at fourth-seeded Wayne State Wednesday.
The Portage Lake Pioneers outscored the Calumet Wolverines 7-3 Saturday evening.
The Red Wings blanked the Islanders 3-0 Saturday. Ville Husso made 24 saves. Lucas Raymond, Pius Suter and Dominik Kubalik scored. The Wings will visit the Rangers today. Because of NFL football, coverage will begin at 4:45 on KBear 102.3.
Filip Zadina left Saturday’s game after he was hit on the leg by a puck. After the contest, coach Derek Lalonde indicated Zadina could be out for a while. He’ll be evaluated further today. Austin Czarnik will fill in. Zadina is likely to join forwards Tyler Bertuzzi, Jakub Vrana, Oskar Sundqvist and Robby Fabbri on the injured list.
The Pistons host the Thunder Monday.
The Astros won the World Series Saturday, defeating the Phillies 4-1 to take the Fall Classic 4-2.
• The Lions host the Packers in a 1:00 game on 99.3 The Lift.
• The Titans visit the Chiefs on the Sunday night contest on 99.3 The Lift.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Tuesday – Calumet volleyball faces Bark River-Harris in a regional semifinal at Westwood. Coverage will begin at 5:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and results to firstname.lastname@example.org.